Asking for thoughts and prayers

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
So my brother lost his pup earlier on the year. She became ill and the. Unfortunately she passed away. My brother and his girlfriend were devastated.

So later on this year they got another 2 pups. They got 2 this time so that they could keep each other company when they were at work. The pups are sisters.

So on Thursday last week, Connie the white pup, leaped off the ute and has a major injury to one of her front legs. After driving the 2 hours to the vet, they advised that she has no feeling in her leg.

They were going to start with steroid injections to help with the healing and hopefully bring back the feeling and reduce the swelling.

After speaking to them yesterday the vet said that the injections should have started to work by now but there is still no feeling. He advised that they may hate to amputate the leg this week if there is no improvement.

They are are heartbroken again. And so soon after the previous pup which they both adorned. There pets are Ike ours - spoilt rotten and have the best of care.

Just asking for everyone to send their positive thoughts and prayers to Connie ( the pup) and hope that the medication starts to work. I know that she will learn to cope with 3 legs but it is something that I as the big sister does not want my little bro to have to go through.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
That is so sad! Sending Connie lots of healing thoughts her way! Hope that her leg gets better fast!
Can you gently massage it and get both blood and medicine flowing?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Lots of love and prayers to Connie!!! Hope everything works out and feel better soon!!!!!!

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Echo - thanks for your thoughts. I am not to sure about the massage as Connie is still at the vets but I will mention it to my brother when he rings today. I have a feeling that the damage that was done is major and they are talking about nerve damage at the top of the leg. I am about 7 or 8 hours away from them so I am only getting messages relayed to me.

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Mikey - thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I hoping like mad that something good happens today for Connie.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Poor little thing! My sister's 12-week-old Collie pup fell off a verandah and broke her paw. She spent many weeks in a cast and never got the complete use of the paw back, but she did OK and lived a very long life. I hope little Connie's leg heals and send prayers and hugs to her and her family. Oh, and a big sloppy lick from Miss Alice. :)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
awww, that is sad. I sure hope Connie does not loose her leg.
sending positive thoughts and prayers her way!!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
I am so sorry that happened! I will defiantly pray for her and I hope she gets healed right away!

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Trish - thanks for the thoughts. I will pass on the thoughts and lick from Alice as well.:)

It is hard to stay positive when it is this bad for her but we will all try. They should know some more tomorrow.

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Thanks Crimson for your best wishes. I am a big believer that they will all help.

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Kq_fan - thanks for your thoughts as well. I as I said previously it is hard but we will remain positive.

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Thanks Antoinette. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
I know. She has a beautiful personality. It is not the end of the whole and she will survive but I just don't like to see them have to suffer through anything at all.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I am so sorry they have to go through this. They will all be in my thoughts and prayers. I really hope amputation is not necessary. :(

But no matter what, I'm sure they will get through it.

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Hi all - well unfortunately Connie has had to have the operation to remove her front right leg. It was a decision that was not very easy for my brother and his girlfriend. They love their pets so much and it just about broke my heart to see them to have to make decisions like this one. As you can guess I am very protective of my little brother - he is the only one that I have.

Anyway, Connie had her operation last Wednesday and they picked her up from the vets on Saturday. It is amazing to see how Connie has adjusted already. She is able to get up their stairs, jump up onto her favourite chairs, and most importantly is able to best her sister to the front yard to get first cuddles from grandad (my dad).

She is still a little sore and has stitches in so they have to keep the two dogs separated unless someone is the with them. The vet said that is had no other injuries apart form the leg so they were very lucky.

To everyone who kept Connie in their thoughts I very much appreciate it. Thanks to all.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Sorry to hear she had to get the operation, but so glad she is adjusting so well! That is great news! :D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I agree with Blanca. So sorry she had to have the surgery, but I'm willing to bet that once she has fully recovered, NOTHING will slow her down, and she will be able to do just about anything and everything every other dog can do. :)

Prayers that she heals quickly, completely and without discomfort.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It give me happy tears reading this and I'm glad she's adjusting well after the surgery!!! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Since surgery is what she needed, I'm glad they were able to have it done. Animals are resilient even with one limb removed and they still keep going. :)

Most Reactions