Attaching cuttlebone?

laurend

Sep 27, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Missy, my 14-year-old Umbrella Cockatoo
Is there some trick to attaching cuttlebone that I'm not getting? It can't be this hard!

I buy mine at PetSmart, and the metal attachment is not wide enough to go around two of the bars on Missy's cage. I've tried getting the cuttlebone holder, but it falls right off of the bars anytime she brushes by it. I currently have it attached with a zip tie, but I'm not convinced it won't easily fall off of the cage either! Any tricks/tips/ideas?

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i drill a hole in the cuttlebone and hang it with a zip tie to the side of the cage :)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
They also sell cuttlebone holders, those metal clamps are worthless. The holders work really well, just look in the same area you got the bone.

Last edited:

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
We collect ours at the beach, so they come in widely varying sizes, and the large ones are often broken. The usual holders are useless, so we use "bulldog" or "foldback" clips which are available in various sizes at the newsagent's or stationery store. They have a black spring steel section with a chrome steel pair of "handles" or levers which will fold back, and are used for holding papers to a clipboard, or for reports of many pages (beyond a stapler's capacity, for instance). You put appropriately sized clip over one vertical bar of the cage and open from outside, place cuttlebone in between "jaws" on the inside and let it hang (i.e. place so that it's on one of the horizontal bars). Works a treat although they rust fast in outdoor aviary use.

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I ram mine through the bars... :$
LOL that had me laughing XD Simple and easy!

When I use to use cuttle bone I would drill a hole(and by drill I mean stab with a pair of scissors until I get through) then tie to the cage with sisal.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
My lucie goose perches on it whilst chewing on it too.

I just couldn't be bothered with all the faffy clips and stuff, ram it through, jobs a good 'un :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts