Attn all members!!

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
HI EVERYBODY! So, I have a project coming up for my packaging class... we make boxes and stuff out of corrugated (cardboard) and I have to come up with a real life problem that can be solved using a creative package that I have to design and construct myself (much more technical than it sounds I assure you!) SO!!! What are the kinds of things that you wish you had that would make keeping your fid easier that could be solved with a neat package or box or something?

I've already thought of making my own foraging boxes... Teacher said it's too plain.. peh... birdpoo on him.. EITHER WAY! I've thought of something maybe to organize treats, or food, or toys... but I'm at a creative block! D: it doesn't just have to be for birds either... but since I put it in the DIY forum and not off topic I figure it should relate to birds... but anything in particular! I can make a box as big as 1 cubic foot (which is actually pretty big! haha) any ideas would be SUPER appreciated! <3

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Maybe a way to separate toys out into groups for rotating? That way you would know which ones you had used more/less recently.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I was thinking of hanging toys, a problem to store. Could u come up w/something that made this easier.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
What about something that would allow you to store your seeds and your pellets in the same container but separated? Like an airtight container with a divider in it. It's seems really simple so I don't know if your teacher would go for it or not but it would be something that would be nice to have. Right now I have a container for my seed and a container for my pellets and it's a pain having to carry them both around to all the cages.

\

OP
andrea.faerie

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
These are all great ideas ^_^ the corrugated project is the next unit (starting next week I have to have a concept proposal) and my instructor jumped at my idea for an automatic feeder (like for cats but on a much smaller scale for birdies!) that could hang on the side of Bleu and Lu's cages! :) I'm going to do 2 sizes (since Bleu is 3 times the size of Lucy haha) I like the idea of being able to just throw away their dishes (or recycle!) instead of attempting to wash the poo off of them :) that and i was thinking of making the bottom of it kinda like a sifter so i can filter out the cracked shells (Lucy is on a mainly seed diet with fresh fruit/veggies in a separate cup) but I'm not sure how well the lighter weight paperboard will hold up to the sifting, I'm confident it'll hold up to seed and pellets though ^^ Thanks for the great ideas! Keep 'em comin'!!

birdybabies

Aug 4, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Billy & Finley (Budgies)
Malakai (Blue Quaker)
Murphy (Green Quaker)
Rhyly (Cockatiel)
Oakley (IRN)
Disco (Lovebird)
What about a birdy suitcase - for emergencies or weekends away etc. It could have a compartments for- spare dink/food bowls, emergency vet care, another for some toys, towels etc, and a spare for food or whatever. When you are in a hurry you dont always think straight, yet if it was all in one package, just grab and go.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
How about a box that would organize all the different pieces that we collect/buy to make our babies toys! Right now I have so many different toy parts that are just in bags! It's driving me crazy, I have been trying to figure out how to organize them!

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
My first thought was also a foraging box or some kind of toy. Not sure if your teacher would approve but how about making a little house for a birdy to hide in? Problem: bird feels threatened by something (i.e. vacuum cleaner). Solution: bird has a place to feel secure until threat is no longer present.

I also liked your idea of a recyclable feeder. Only problem is that your birdies might chew on the cardboard and spill everything inside. Birdybabies' suggestion of a birdy suitcase seems like a good idea as well.

I have never heard of a packaging class before but it sounds really interesting though! I am very curious now. What other kinds of projects have you done in this class?

TeakwoodBirdHouse

Sep 20, 2011
Largo, Florida
I was thinking of a sort of travel carrier, or chewable, disposable nestbox. And, Brian, I have a Tupperware 3 drawer unit filled with toy parts! I make bird toys, and donate them to Rescues and Sanctuaries.

OP
andrea.faerie

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My first thought was also a foraging box or some kind of toy. Not sure if your teacher would approve but how about making a little house for a birdy to hide in? Problem: bird feels threatened by something (i.e. vacuum cleaner). Solution: bird has a place to feel secure until threat is no longer present.

I also liked your idea of a recyclable feeder. Only problem is that your birdies might chew on the cardboard and spill everything inside. Birdybabies' suggestion of a birdy suitcase seems like a good idea as well.

I have never heard of a packaging class before but it sounds really interesting though! I am very curious now. What other kinds of projects have you done in this class?
So far we've made a briefcase kind of box, on my own I made a box that has 6 shelves inside to organize the paper in my boss's office :) I'm a Graphics/Printing major so we have all kinds of paper in the office that's always randomly placed. I made a bunch of the to organize by color and types :)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
How about a chewable cardboard bird toy? It could be elaborate.

Most Reactions

Latest posts