Aussie Alex Owners please read

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
What pellets do you feed your birds and where do you buy them? It has taken me quite a while to find any at all, so I bought some Vetafarm Large Bird Pellets today, They cost $25 for three kilos (owch!), so I was hoping to hear of a better kind of pellet for a better kind of price. :D

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I know i am not an alex owner ;)

But, i get Fargo 2 types of vetafarm- maintenance and macaw nuts
and then harrisons and pretty bird!
I get the vetafarm in our pet shop, but harrisons and pretty bird i buy online from pet food plus!
Harrisons is - 454g (1lb) $12.95
Pretty bird is - 1.13kg (3lb) $23.95

They also have roudy bush- 625g $16.95 or 1.25kg $27.95
But Fargo didnt like roudybush! :p

The only other pellet i know is kaytee, but that doesnt seem very nice and Fargo didnt like that either, and it smells weird!

Vetafarm may be cheaper online than in a shop! :)

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
I buy Roudybush which is $25 for 1.25kg, or $63 for 4.5kg. I get that from Brisbane, either Brookfield pet produce or pet city, they'll ship anywhere (blah blah). If I buy Vetafarm it's the same price as what you've said.
All I know is the bulkier you buy the cheaper it is, but it can go off. It doesn't really get much cheaper unfortuntely.

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
i feed my guys veta farm nutriblend pellets in small. i did try them on the vetafarm african mix at the recomendation of the vet assistant as that what she feeds her alex but they didnt like it. i think i paid about $22for the 3 kg bag from my vets (only place in my small town that sells them.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
I get Bundiibird's from My Parrot Shop online but they are about the same as you are already paying. She likes the paradise pellets and veta farm maintenance.

Most Reactions