Austral conures in US aviculture?

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
Green-cheek conure, Quaker parakeet
I'm wondering whether anybody knows whether the austral conure can be found in aviculture in the US? Both of the Enicognathus spp. conures are neat birds, and there's a thread on this forum suggestion that slender-bills are occassionally found in captivity, but I'm particularly enamored of the austral conure, the world's southernmost parrot species. I'm not looking to get either right now, or really at all in the near future, but it would be reassuring to known that they can be found in aviculture here.

Plus, due to their rarity both austral and slender-billed conures are among the birds that I'd like to breed someday, assuming they exist in aviculture by that point. I'd probably start with Patagonian conures—which are rare in aviculture but not so rare its a tragedy if I have difficulty getting them breeding—but given how unusual Patagonian conures' wild nesting habits are I imagine austral and slender-billed conures would be substantially different from patties. And due to the differences in their habitat, I'd be not the least bit surprised if their breeding habits differ markedly from each other. However I cannot find any information on the austral conure's wild breeding habits and the only thing I can find on breeding them in captivity is an article from 1981.

And there's not much on the their general care either, though from what little I have found they're sweet birds. Being a mostly green parrot from a continent famous for its colorful parrots, I'd be surprised if many zoos even had them. So I'm curious whether anyone here from the US has even seen one, much less interacted with it?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Why would you be interested in starting with Patagonians? Maybe I missed that part...

OP
gavagai

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
Green-cheek conure, Quaker parakeet
They're not all that common in aviculture, but still not rare enough that it's a problem if it takes me a decade or more to get them breeding. And if you look at the ranges, the patties' range abuts the austral and slender-bills. At the least they come from similar climates, I would not be at all surprised to learn that they're somewhat more closely related to each other than either is to others members of the Arini.

I mean, I'm not saying Patagonians would be the very first parrots I'd try breeding, though I do find them very charming, but I think it would make sense try to breed Patagonians before I'd try either Enicognathus spp.

Most Reactions