Australians! Where do you buy toys?

Tonkatiel

Banned
Banned
Apr 25, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Tonks (Cockatiel), Sid, Johnny, Aussie (Lovebirds), Punky (Galah)
I'm having a fair amount of trouble finding good quality bird toys for decent prices...

I've bought some from the PRC Shop (parrot rescue centre), which werent the cheapest but the profits go towards the rescue so I was fine with that, but most other places I've looked are the same prices if not more, and I'm NOT okay with that!
Local pet stores all seem to charge double what online stores do, but online stores tend to make up for that by charging a fortune in postage.

I went to a PetBarn store the other day which by far was the cheapest I've found, but my closest store is more than 2 hours away so not exactly somewhere I can go often :/

I keep looking at all of these American stores where they charge quarter of the price for much better toys, but on the rare occasion where I find one who posts to Aus, they charge astronomical prices to post ($50+)!

So is this the way it has to be, or have I just not looked hard enough for cheaper stores?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Ahhh i have the same problem! Its especially hard having a bird that destroys stuff in minutes ;)

Luckily i placed a large order at Mysafebirdstore in America, when Fargo won their big competition, so i got all acrylic toys, and foraging toys which cost 5 times more in Australia... Even with postage i think a bulk lot of foraging toys will cost less!!

But for toys i buy on ebay! I have looked at PRC and Myparrot shop, but they are both pretty pricey, so birdtalk and dickybirdtoys on ebay are good!

Just today i ordered a big lot of toys from dickybird toys, they are VERY friendly and helpful, and if you spend 100 dollars its free postage :)

Good luck

OP
T

Tonkatiel

Banned
Banned
Apr 25, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Thanks Tab, I'll have a look on ebay :) Although it sucks, I'm glad I'm not the only one having troubles lol

Have you thought abou making your own toys?
I have, and I'm still hoping to - but at the moment I'm having trouble sourcing the supplies. There's no 'my safe bird store' equivalent over here (that I know of) and I'm iffy about buying just random items to use in case they aren't safe... PRC do have a small amount of things you can buy to make your own toys, but not much, and would end up being much cheaper to just buy the pre made toys :/

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
I also have this problem!

Although the closest PetBarn is only 15 min away from me, but the toys is all pretty pricey. Last time I brought a $15 wood toy made for medium parrots, Ozzie destroyed it within 1 hour :/ I go to this store called fantastic pets, their toys is a little cheaper than PetBarn. I also go to PetMart Australia, they have lots of toys but is super expensive! Every month, I spend at lease $40 just on toys for Ozzie :/

When shopping online, I usually shop on Mybirdsafestore, it is located in America. It did turned out that it was actually a bit cheaper, even with the shipping! And I also shop on eBay as well. I shop more online rather than going to different shops, because I really don't have the time to buy a new toy for Ozzie every week! :p

OP
T

Tonkatiel

Banned
Banned
Apr 25, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
I'm an ebay fanatic, but I've never even thought of buying bird toys on there!! And there are heaps of toy parts! My bank account is going to hate me lol

Thanks again Tab :)

OP
T

Tonkatiel

Banned
Banned
Apr 25, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
LoveMyParrots, I did go to buy from my safe bird store, but the $50 postage really put me off! May be worth it if you're buying a few hundred dollars worth of toys at a time but I just cant afford that lol

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
you're welcome :) haha

Yes eBay is great to spend money... Today I spent 300 dollars on the little feathered boy :rolleyes::54:

dicky bird toys has a big pack of wood toy parts, I think it's like 60 parts for 5 dollars or so, very good price!
plus if you spend 30 dollars you get 35 meters of plastic pipe to thread toy parts onto :)

I tend to buy in bulk, so you get all the deals they offer :p

Last edited:

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
I'm lucky enough to have a parrot that doesn't like to shred stuff, although I did buy him a large plank of balsa wood for $5 (onto which he takes his anger out!) :D

OP
T

Tonkatiel

Banned
Banned
Apr 25, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Ok so I've spent a fortune between 3 different ebay stores, mostly toy parts but also a few pre made toys...

Spent much more than I should have lol, but hopefully it'll be a VERY long time before I have to buy more :)

My birds do destroy toys - but it takes them a very long time to do it ;)

Most Reactions