Avery is staying the night at the vet... [emoji20]

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Chantal, I am so happy Avery is home with you tonight and feeling so well already. Sounds like your girl not only kicked the flu but kicked some butt at the vet clinic as well. I hope the tests all come back perfectly normal. She's telling you, Hey Baby, that is so adorable.

How is Shiko handling all this?

OP
Dinosrawr

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Chantal, I am so happy Avery is home with you tonight and feeling so well already. Sounds like your girl not only kicked the flu but kicked some butt at the vet clinic as well. I hope the tests all come back perfectly normal. She's telling you, Hey Baby, that is so adorable.

How is Shiko handling all this?

Allee, you must have amazing foresight because the vets just called and Avery's blood tests came back 100% clear and normal! They still believe it was the flu and that it was one of those quick 24 hour ones, similar to what humans experience. It was a huge relief getting the phone call this morning.

Shiko handled it pretty well for the most part, though you could tell that when she was gone he was a bit confused. He kept calling out for her the night she was gone and was pretty subdued. Normally he's a trouble making booger, but that night he was very to himself. Last night he was clearly happy to have her back and they were glued to each other's hip again for awhile, though Avery definitely needed some mom time and she fell asleep in my hands off and on for about an hour and a half. After she was done with mom love, Shiko required his nightly cuddles and spent about 45 minutes under my chin demanding scritches.

I'm very, very fortunate that my birds are both healthy and that this incident was very minor. I'm also hugely lucky to have access to one of the best avian vet clinics/resources in Western Canada. The X-rays, crop swabs/cloaca swabs, examination in emergency hours, CBC blood panel, biochem panel, and over night hospitalization came to a grand total of $310.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm so glad all is well and everyone is happily together again :). WOW $310 for all of that?! I can't understand... That would run at least $1000++ depending on what hospital here!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek: That was truly a phenomenal price, Chantal. I am quite envious ..... and broke because Hunter's 'little' incident/surgery cost me more than twice that much. :54:

OP
Dinosrawr

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I know! One vet I went to in the city here has an amazing avian vet, but her prices are astronomical. A fecal culture cost nearly $300 itself. But the vet clinic I go to is also one of the best veterinary colleges here in Canada, so they have absolutely everything in house and lots of top-of-the-line equipment. Since they don't have to send anything off and everything can be done immediately there by their own staff, prices are kept extraordinarily low. A general physical exam for my birds includes nail clipping, a fecal slide, wing clipping is optional but also free, and the overall weight/physical examination for $60. The bulk of that $310 fee came from the emergency hour visit, which came to $130 on its own.

I'm very fortunate that we have such a great resource here in the city... I'm certainly wary of moving away when I think of how affordable they are in comparison to any other avian clinic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You are such an awesome parront, Chantal. A quick analysis of Avery's distress and off to the vet! Glad you have access to a competent AND fairly priced practice.

Hope for no more repeat flu events!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Great news!!! I'm so glad that Avery was apparently just dealing with flu symptoms instead of something potentially more dangerous.

And the prices at your vet are amazing! Wow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions