Awful at flying

mgarvie

Oct 3, 2018
Pekin, IL
Parrots
Orange Winged Amazon
When is this bird going to understand he is awful at flying? Well, I guess the flying is OK but he can't steer or land.

Last week, he leaps and flies in to the wall only to walk back to his cage. The whole walk back having his butt sniffed by the yellow Lab. Two days ago, I stood next to his cage but didn't give him scritches. Guess he was going to force me to change my mind, crashed right into the Great Dane's face. Today, I wasn't getting his dinner ready fast enough, flew into the kitchen curtains.

He went from being cage bound the first fourteen years of his life before I got him into a green kamikaze chicken.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Consider teaching your Amazon flight paths in your home. Take a look at the very large Thread, highlighted in light blue in the Amazon Forum: I Love Amazons - ... With in that huge Thread you will find all kinds of supportive information.
You will find that if you use the Real Estate Agents approach to showing your Amazon the safe flight paths in your home such problems will reduce greatly. So, with the Amazon on your hand, make your way around you home all while presenting safe flight paths. FYI: A single tour is not enough!

A good teacher will have an artful flier.

OP
M

mgarvie

Oct 3, 2018
Pekin, IL
Parrots
Orange Winged Amazon
He knows his way around since there are no interior walls. He has flown to the garage a couple times and even walked once to where I was drinking coffee (breakfast was late). He just sucks at flying. Absolutely no flight control.

Some people just can't drive like he can't fly. He needs to learn to be a pedestrian.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy doesn't fly...never has. No amount of flapflap lessons or encouragement will persuade him. He'd rather walk ( has more miles on his feet than any other birdie I know) or would rather hitch a ride on his servant. I'm clueless. :confused:

Jim

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My rescue Quaker Penny, had aweful treatment before I got her. She has wing restrictions, as she was kept in a tiny cage for years and couldn't stretch or flap wings. She couldn't fly either. I read Sailboats thread it's the blue sticky thread at the top of the Amazon forum. I found many helpful points there. Now a year later Penny can fly!!!!!

It's a wonderful thing that you parrot still has the drive to fly, and is brave enough to to make attempts. My bird had no desire to fly and a ton of fear of falling so it took work to get her to this point.

If your bird has been cage bound it's lost spacial awareness. This happens to any creature who has been confined to a small space.

So taking a bird for a walk around the space, tapping on walls and windows, really does help. Also setting up areas for them to land and showing them to the bird. I use ceiling hooks and fishing line to hang rope hoops around the house for the birds to use. Keeps them away from dogs, keeps them off furniture, and gives them their own spacec to hang out. I also have floor stand with hanging hoop perche's so I can move around, and play station.
Anyway please take the time to work with and support your bird on his journey to regain flight, and regain freedom. I'm glad you rescue, and he no longer has be confined behind bars.
Please be careful of dog parrot interaction, we hear if deaths all the time, even when the dog and parrot haceived together for years. I do not low my parrots and dogs to touch.

Last edited:

Gemster

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 4, 2019
Media
Parrots
Valentine-budgie (M),
Daphne-budgie (F)
Rip-Sky
Rip-Bell
Have you tried flight training? Could he have been clipped in the past or never even learnt to fly?
Persuade him in any way to have him fly straight to your hand, once accomplished then to descend, ascend, tight corners...
Use his to 'die for' treat at the beginning, then once it is easy to have him fly you can move onto the second or third favourite treat.
I would expect a bird to give up and 'never' want to fly again after failing so many times (like Laurasea mentioned). I would actually be very happy that he wants to keep going, also worried that he could injure himself...

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Amy doesn't fly...never has. No amount of flapflap lessons or encouragement will persuade him. He'd rather walk ( has more miles on his feet than any other birdie I know) or would rather hitch a ride on his servant. I'm clueless. :confused:

Jim

Kiwi and Amy are in the same boat.

Kiwi loves his flapping exercises but refuses to fly on his own. We’ve resigned to him flapping around while on our hand for exercise but forever needing to provide rides:rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Latest posts