B & G Macaw or Galah Cockatoo???

scoman123

Dec 28, 2015
Sheringham, uk.
Parrots
A CAG (Baby)
Hi, hope i'm posting this in the right place! I have been saving up and now have the opertunaity to get either a B & G Macaw or a Galah cockatoo but i'm still not sure which one i should get.

I already have the cage its one of these Endeavour Large Parrot Cage with Divider - Antique. The Liberta Endeavour cages which is suitable for both types of parrot.

I get up at roughly 8:30am then leave for work at 9:20am, then i come home for lunch at 1pm then leave again at 2pm and get home at roughly 6:15pm. I also have two days off a week, i am happy to spend time in the morning before work, during my lunch break and time after work with the parrot however sometimes i do have to spend more time at work or go out although it's not very often.

I'd prefer a bird thats not going to pluck all his feathers out and scream the house down when im gone for an extra few hours. I know both parrots can be loud.

I also have two budgies, two cockatiels and 4 canaries but obvously they woulnd't be let out in the same as the larger parrot.

I would like something that is somewhat cuddly, affectionate, playful. im not that bothered about talking ability, it'll either happen and be cute as hell or it won't.

Could you please advice me on any personal experiances with these birds and obviuosly about their personalities.

Many thanks in advance, if you need anymore info please just ask! :blue1::white1:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I can't advise you other than to say these two are night and day. Almost sounds like the macaw might be a better fit for you. If you work at it macaws can be as cuddly and affrctionate as a dog. I'm sure our macaw owners will be happy to provide some photos to illustrate this.

You certainly have the time for most of them. My Parker is out of this cage whenever we're home. Work days, it's 3-4 hours. because we keep him up late to make the four hours, we don't pull him out in the morning so he can get more sleep. We just turn on lights and tv to get him up just before we leave for work.

As an owner of a plucker get eclectus, Don't let plucking be a concern in your search. Medical causes aside, generally speaking with these particular species you are looking at you have to really try HARD to induce plucking - think years of neglect, never interacting with them. To illustrate: One plucker I heard of started plucking after living in a house with his dead owner for a week, no food or water. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
My galah is fine with occasionally having a long day on her own. With my schedule she usually gets a couple of hours out in the morning then 4-5 hours in the evening, and since she's used to being up late in the evening she sleeps quite a bit during the day to make up for it which is ideal in terms of giving her lots of company. She's only confined to the cage when I'm out but she doesn't get 100% attention all that time.

Galahs are generally on the quiet side as far as parrots go - they have their moments and it depends on the individual but everyone I know who's had one comments on them being quieter than the various online comparison charts tend to rate them. Mine occasionally lets off steam with a little squawking display and she has a contact / warning call that can be wearing, but as parrots go she's not loud.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Difficult to say really but as you do not mention a significant other I presume there isn't one presently? What happens if you meet someone, want to spend loads of time together? Would they and the bird get on? You have chosen birds with a fair amount of needs (from you) and my gut feeling is wait. My reasoning - it would be a real shame if a very short while down the road you discover that this new bird isn't for you or you cannot cope. I am somewhat dubious about the safety of your little ones also. Whatever you do be very, very sure please!

Most Reactions

Latest posts