B&G macaw

Jorxgue

May 4, 2023
Parrots
Sun Conure
I have a 27 yr old macaw with closed band on the right foot
Not clipped but can’t fly
She is very well behaved but recently I have noticed some aggression issues with other birds and ppl. She used to be pet & picked up by others but will now only allow me to do so
“She” is very attached to me.
She weighed 850 when I got her and now weighs 930g. I was informed that I may be feeding her too much. Causing her to be nippy? Could this be possible? I have also noticed changing in coloration around the eyes which is a big concern for me. One of them look swollen as well.
fed a Harrison pellet diet
Sleeps about 10hrs

Attachments

• IMG_1581.jpeg
    IMG_1581.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1535.jpeg
    IMG_1535.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0970.jpeg
    IMG_0970.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0858.jpeg
    IMG_0858.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 19

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I’m sorry to hear about your macaw. She’s beautiful!

All 3 of my parrots are hormonal right now, and 2 of them are molting. They get a little sassy during this time.

My one parrot used to let my husband pick him up, and he enjoyed my husbands company. Now he attacks my husband, screams at him, lunges at him, and makes it perfectly clear he doesn’t like him. He picked me as the “favorite” person. Unfortunately he isn’t exactly kind to others. I haven’t found a resolution. I still try to get Nico to accept other people, and will bring him around others. From what I’ve gathered there isn’t much someone can do to change this. Some birds are great with everyone, some are great with family members only, and some pick 1 person that is their favorite. It depends on the bird itself.

I would consult a vet about the eye.

I hope something in here helps. I wish you luck with your B&G macaw. If you find something that helps please do share.

OP
J

Jorxgue

May 4, 2023
Parrots
Sun Conure
I’m sorry to hear about your macaw. She’s beautiful!

All 3 of my parrots are hormonal right now, and 2 of them are molting. They get a little sassy during this time.

My one parrot used to let my husband pick him up, and he enjoyed my husbands company. Now he attacks my husband, screams at him, lunges at him, and makes it perfectly clear he doesn’t like him. He picked me as the “favorite” person. Unfortunately he isn’t exactly kind to others. I haven’t found a resolution. I still try to get Nico to accept other people, and will bring him around others. From what I’ve gathered there isn’t much someone can do to change this. Some birds are great with everyone, some are great with family members only, and some pick 1 person that is their favorite. It depends on the bird itself.

I would consult a vet about the eye.

I hope something in here helps. I wish you luck with your B&G macaw. If you find something that helps please do share.
As of now any vet apt I can get is weeks from now. Im hoping the eye will be less noticeable but still need one asap. Im currently disabled after a motorcycle accident & have been lacking on my part as a parrot owner. For example I can’t drive rightnow so any errands or places I need to go for my bird is extremely difficult & I have little to no help. I have been trying to get an air purifier for my bird room recently which could have likely prevented the swollen eye.
Cleaning is also difficult but i do my best. Still…it is not consistent & good enough. Looking into other options such as a maid or somewhere to board my birds without her suffering from detachment or stress

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Do you think your macaw has allergies? Is that why her eye is swollen? Hopefully you are able to get her to a vet sooner. Finding vets for a parrot isn’t any easier where I am at. I asked my dogs vet why they don’t see parrots. She explained that she has limited training in parrots, and it wouldn’t be fair to the parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts