Baby Behavior (normal?) pictures!

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Disclaimer: My experiance is with older Macaws, this is my first baby bird. ALSO THIS IS LONG

Background: I have had Safira since October11. She was hatched in June 11, I got her from a breeder. Safira has a clean bill of health from the vet.

Question(s)/Concern(s): Safira to me, seems very slow in developing maturity. I know that she is still very young, but I have a few concerns. The first is her constant begging motions, like she wants to be hand-fed all the time. She eats her pellets, has begun to eat more of her fruits and vegetables so I kow she's not starving. I had hoped that the behavior would cease after a few months, but it hasn't. Now I'm wondering if she was weaned too quickly, and if so how to fix it? Should I just continue to ignore it, or spoon feed her some warm oatmeal or water once a day? Is this normal baby behavior for Macaws under 1 year old?
Her begging behavior is the head rolling back, wings staying folded but quirking them upward, feathers fluffed and throaty coo/chirp noise she makes that's very soft.

Nightfrights. I've posted about this twice now, they haven't stopped. We've changed cages, rooms, tried covering/uncovering, put a light with a blue bulb to simulate moonlight, changed perchers. She almost always has at least one, sometimes multiple. She'll just give out a few short screams, then a THUD as she dive-bombs to the bottom of her cage. I'm nearly out of ideas, and its a rare night anyone in my house can get 8 hours of sleep without the inturruption.

This odd but cute.. thing she's doing. It seems whenever I am around that she (while making this little throaty chirp that's very soft, same as when she's begging) she'll grab the end of her last long tail feather (the nightly drops to the cage floor has broken the rest) and put her wing over her head like a hat. It's ADORABLE.. but she stays like that, making the soft cooing chirp noise.. for like 20 mintues or more. Sometimes she adds a head scratch with her foot (those I know about.) But the holding onto the end of the tail baffles me. I want to think it's a comfort thing, like a baby with a pacifier. Baby behavior?

Screaming Ha! it's not a problem. In fact besides the night-frights, she doesn't make any other noise besides the cooing/chirping, throaty noise she makes (the begging noise.) Though she -has- started to become a little louder if I'm having a conversation in another room. She'll give this dull half-hearted flock call. I know it won't last long and eventually she will find her voice but coupled with the things above make me wonder about her development. Eventually she will become the vocal bird i know she can be (Just hopefully not excessive ;) )

So.. I know that was lengthy so I went ahead and included pictures of the tail holding, wing over head thing. It's adorably cute, she's saluting you! But it's a constant, like thumb sucking..

Is this all baby behavior? (minus the night frights, those are baffling me.)

She let me take like 20 pictures of her doing this, right up in her face.

S1.jpg

S4.jpg

S2.jpg

On another note, watching the CAG's eat their fruits and veggies has really got her into doing it. She doesn't play with her toys often. She knows what they are, she's destroyed a few before, but she picks at them occasionally. She likes the ones on her Java tree better (mostly cause she's out of her cage i think,lol)

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You have your hands full for sure. I think you probably have done just about everything that is suggested for the frights. Perhaps it is time you called Sally Blanchard or another avian behaviorist. I would send them what you posted here. Sorry I have no magic answers. Night Frights

OP
Safira

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Thanks Spiritbird! Sometimes it goes really well, and for 3 nights in a row she'll be quiet. Then the next night she'll give a scream every 3-4 hours. @.@ Between me, my sister, my CAG's and my dogs, we never get any sleep.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Just my two cents here. I am looking at the photos posted and the perch she is currently on does not appear to be big enough for her. Macaws should have 2-2 1/2 inches. The perch she is standing on appears to be more like 3/4 inch.
My Neleno is a GW and much larger then a B&G and if he stands on anything less then 2 1/2 inch perch, he too will fall to the bottom of his cage.
I also use 2 1/2 concrete perches that he really enjoys sleeping on.
Your B&G is still considered as a baby macaw and by no means a mature bird.
Begging, cooing, and behaving in a way to get your attn are all things baby macaws do to get their way.
I have never seen a macaw grabs it's tail tucks their head under their wing before. It's really a cute photo through. Best of luck Joe

OP
Safira

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Thank you Joe, but that's just one branch on a very larve Java tree. :) It has perches from 1 - 3 inches wide. I have a 2 1/2 inch perch in her cage, a 1 1/2 inch perch, and a 2 1/2 inch cement perch in her cage along with a thick rope perch. I have switched all these perches around numerous times and the night frights stay the same :( She's sleeping on the cement one right now.

Yes, her behavior is very baby! I'm just making sure it's normal, I'm so use to adult macaws that the baby is cute, but baffling. :D And doesn't it look like she's saluting you? It's adorable. I think she wants to be pet and scratched, but is using her wing to pet herself instead of her foot. The tail is just.. I have no idea, but its all raggedy now :/ she is due to molt those feathers soon.

Most Reactions