Baby Broccoli

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
IMG_0940.jpeg

IMG_0933.jpeg

IMG_2877.jpeg

Visited the new baby today at the store and put in an order for a DNA test to determine his or her sex. Sheā€™s still being handfed but is only on one feed a day, and isnā€™t very enthusiastic about it, so they think sheā€™ll be done by July sometime!

I drew a sticker to put on her cage label in the meantime.

She is still a baby baby, so she steps up and when she flies off just does so to land on my head, haha. She also lets me gently hold her to my chest when itā€™s time to go back to her cage. We hung out for about 45 mins and she was happy to sit on my shoulder and play with foot toys and chew wooden blocks.

I forgot how sweet baby parrots are, goodness gracious!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
View attachment 51847
View attachment 51848
View attachment 51849

Visited the new baby today at the store and put in an order for a DNA test to determine his or her sex. Sheā€™s still being handfed but is only on one feed a day, and isnā€™t very enthusiastic about it, so they think sheā€™ll be done by July sometime!

She is still a baby baby, so she steps up and when she flies off just does so to land on my head, haha. She also lets me gently hold her to my chest when itā€™s time to go back to her cage. We hung out for about 45 mins and she was happy to sit on my shoulder and play with foot toys and chew wooden blocks.

Nothing is sweeter than a baby parrot! I still call Rocky "Baby Bird" at seven months old and those were her first words!

If Broccoli is rejecting hand feedings and flying she will be weaned and ready to go home with you very soon.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
View attachment 51847
View attachment 51848
View attachment 51849

Oh. My. GOODNESS!!!!! She is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! šŸ˜ Congrats, @ravvlet!! And how lucky is that beautiful baby that she gets to go home with you?! šŸ’–

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
All I can say is wow!

Love the name and the cage label you created.

Are you in the cage?
They have a walk in aviary to do visits! They require that you visit with the bird at least two times before taking them home so theyā€™re more comfortable with you. I have visited at least four of their birds at this point before we decided on Broccoli, haha, and Iā€™ve hung out with her at least 5-6 times, five of those before we decided to buy her! We started looking for a smaller bird in mid April and I took my time to make sure we would get the right fit. Iā€™m still nervous but I am also excited.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Awwww I'm in love with her already!!! That second photo of her is just :love: She's SO pretty!

The cage sticker you drew is awesome!!

They have a walk in aviary to do visits!
Nice!!! I wish my local bird store had something like this. If they would my Ona would never have been bit by a larger bird as a baby :(

I bet you are so excited for her to come home!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Awwww I'm in love with her already!!! That second photo of her is just :love: She's SO pretty!

The cage sticker you drew is awesome!!

Nice!!! I wish my local bird store had something like this. If they would my Ona would never have been bit by a larger bird as a baby :(

I bet you are so excited for her to come home!

Oh no! Yeah, I will say they do sometimes have issues like that (Luaā€™s toe healed fine, but she landed on Gromble the quakerā€™s cage and got a nasty toe bite when she escaped whilst being transported to or from the aviary). Fortunately Broccoli is ridiculously compliant; I had her sitting on my finger today to bring her to the aviary and she stayed until we got to the door, then flew up onto my head to wait for me to open it. All the employees have remarked that sheā€™s really really sweet, trainable, and interested in people.

I think as much as I wanted to rescue another bird that at this time with both our kids starting school and other life stuff happening that sheā€™s going to be a really great fit - and maybe in a few more years when things are stable and the kids are older, we can start fostering birds (I think I am a two bird limit person, LOL). Iā€™d love to be able to give temporary homes to birdies who need to be exposed to being out of cage, seeing kids and other pets, and other stuff that will help them find a forever home - I just donā€™t want to keep them forever, lol.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
So, Iā€™ve been doing a lot of research on the natural range of parrots, as we wanted to pick a species whose natural range overlapped that of Kirbyā€™s - Iā€™m not sure if it matters in parrots, but I used to keep aquariums and maintaining biodiversity while also keeping same-range species of plants and fish tended to result in a more harmonious existence for everyone.

I am really interested to see how Kirby and Broccoli interact long term, because they do share some not insignificant range overlap - and of course, our understanding of their range in the wild is very limited, as they are both Amazonian species, and we have limited data!

IMG_2879.jpeg

Both species are considered ā€œleast concernā€, as they prefer open areas that are semi-wooded, such as the edge of forest or agricultural properties like coffee plantations. Both species nest in tree cavities (the amazons chew out their own, whilst the dusky conures tend to ā€œborrowā€ abandoned woodpecker nests or arboreal termite nests).

Additionally there is some recent observational data for Orange Wing Amazons that may explain why Kirby is so readily accepting of other bird species - in the feral parrot populations in Florida, orange wings have been recorded successfully hybridizing with maximillian pionus, and attempting to breed and join the flocks of quaker parakeets, including participating in their nesting behavior! I think they are just a very naturally adaptable species. This is extra cool because Dusky Conures have also been known to join the flocks of other conure species if a large group of their own species is not available.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh my gosh, I don't think that Broccoli could be any more adorable!
I'm so thrilled for you, and I think that she or he is going to be a perfect fit in your family. What a lucky bird to have been chosen by you:)
That sticker is incredible, you are so talented!

I also love how you waited until you found a bird who fits with you. I think you've chosen well, my friend, and so did Broccoli:)

Gosh I can't wait until she's/he's home with you!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
IMG_0948.jpeg

IMG_0951.jpeg

IMG_0952.jpeg

Filed away another hour visit with Broccoli today and got a start on the baby bird proofing, aratinga style. Those blue things on the wall (theyā€™ll be behind a shower curtain to deter curious birdies) are polyester fiber acoustic panels! Iā€™ve been told dusky screams can be shrill and the floor here is tile, so I am doing what I can to take the edge off in case she has a screamy moment. :)

The blue cage is going to a new home - itā€™s too small for a conure of Broccoliā€™s size! Thankfully I know someone who needs a smaller cage and will be delivering it to them in a week or so. In the mean time, the 32inx20in cage we are upgrading to gets here Tuesday!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
View attachment 51903
View attachment 51904
View attachment 51905

Filed away another hour visit with Broccoli today and got a start on the baby bird proofing, aratinga style. Those blue things on the wall (theyā€™ll be behind a shower curtain to deter curious birdies) are polyester fiber acoustic panels! Iā€™ve been told dusky screams can be shrill and the floor here is tile, so I am doing what I can to take the edge off in case she has a screamy moment. :)

The blue cage is going to a new home - itā€™s too small for a conure of Broccoliā€™s size! Thankfully I know someone who needs a smaller cage and will be delivering it to them in a week or so. In the mean time, the 32inx20in cage we are upgrading to gets here Tuesday!
I can't help but smile at every pic I see of baby Broccoli, she is just absolutely gorgeous!! šŸ˜ šŸ˜ šŸ˜

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I'm jealous! (Don't tell Ona.) I miss those baby visitation days and Broccoli is so adorable!

Looks like some good preparations!

She chews everything she can get to - my shirt, my fingers (gently, Iā€™ve been trying to work on stepping up and the word ā€œgentleā€ since she likes to fly to me so much when we are in the aviary together), so I am going to organize my cables in my office, cover the ones I canā€™t tuck away, and tuck the rest away that I can, as well as put outlet covers on the outlets in use that she can reach.

After that Iā€™ve got to figure out if and how to block off parts of the closet I removed the doors on and converted into a craft area for the kids. Thereā€™s some shelving behind a curtain and a storage area under the stairs as well as the alcove where our hot water heater is.

I think for those I am just going to buy those mesh door kits and cut them down to size - for the shelving I am going to hope she doesnā€™t go behind the curtain, and if it becomes a problem maybe I can put everything up there in bins with lids.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
She chews everything she can get to - my shirt, my fingers (gently, Iā€™ve been trying to work on stepping up and the word ā€œgentleā€ since she likes to fly to me so much when we are in the aviary together), so I am going to organize my cables in my office, cover the ones I canā€™t tuck away, and tuck the rest away that I can, as well as put outlet covers on the outlets in use that she can reach.

After that Iā€™ve got to figure out if and how to block off parts of the closet I removed the doors on and converted into a craft area for the kids. Thereā€™s some shelving behind a curtain and a storage area under the stairs as well as the alcove where our hot water heater is.

I think for those I am just going to buy those mesh door kits and cut them down to size - for the shelving I am going to hope she doesnā€™t go behind the curtain, and if it becomes a problem maybe I can put everything up there in bins with lids.
Youā€™ve got your work cut out for you! It will all be worth it when sheā€™s home. Let me know how cutting down those magnetic screens goes. I still like mine and that could be useful for future reference. Iā€™m also curious to know if the cord protectors work. Iā€™ve thought about getting them to deter Ona away from the laptop chargers.

I will say I donā€™t miss the baby chewing phase šŸ˜„ It sounds like youā€™re off to a great start already though. Those are the same things I did with Ona to teach her and it paid off in the end!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

It sounds like when a first time parent brings their new (wingless) baby home from the hospital!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
It sounds like when a first time parent brings their new (wingless) baby home from the hospital!
Many of the outlet covers and other stuff are leftover from when we baby proofed when the youngest started crawling!!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Youā€™ve got your work cut out for you! It will all be worth it when sheā€™s home. Let me know how cutting down those magnetic screens goes. I still like mine and that could be useful for future reference. Iā€™m also curious to know if the cord protectors work. Iā€™ve thought about getting them to deter Ona away from the laptop chargers.

I will say I donā€™t miss the baby chewing phase šŸ˜„ It sounds like youā€™re off to a great start already though. Those are the same things I did with Ona to teach her and it paid off in the end!

The clear cable protectors were recommended to me by a Quaker owner! I figure if it can hold up to a Quaker it should hold up to a same size conure.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh, just what we need around here - another one of those crummy, uber cute Conures, hoggin' up all the PotM contests! An I foresee Broccoli garnering a few wins in the near future. All you 'keet and IRN owners - new sheriff in town, an his name is Broccoli!

PetKeen_Can-Parrots-Eat_broccoli.jpg

Most Reactions