Baby Budgie Started Having Seizures!

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
Poor little girl, I'm glad she has you as her non feathered mom. Too many people over look these little guys

hopefully the medication helps her

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Sorry you're going through this; I know from experience how scary seeing a seizure can be.

My family's first dog started seizuring suddenly around 1.5 years old. I was only 12, and I was the only one home the first time it happened. I remember trying to hold him still to stop his thrashing. Fortunately I knew what was happening but it didn't make it any less awful. He always seemed to know when it was about to happen, too, which made it worse. He'd pace and you could see the fear in his eyes, sometimes up to 15 minutes before he'd have an episode.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Thank you all for your kind words. It has been a VERY stressful couple of weeks. Nico just left for his new home, yesterday was my fiance and I's anniversary and a very good friend of ours just passed away last night after being in a coma for a week from a motorcycle accident(he had just turned 21 a few months ago too :( ). But, enough with the ranting.... an actual update on Sadie....

She has been in her incubator since thursday evening and hasn't had another seizure since the vet administered the valium. We haven't been handling her since that seems to be inciting the seizures but Nick did have her out earlier, for less than a minute but she sat on his hand and didn't have a seizure! So that's a good sign. We were supposed to be getting the phenobarb today but I spoke with the vet and it seems that they do not manufacture a small enough dosage for her size. She is hopeful since she hasn't had another seizure, she said she isn't ruling out epilepsy but she said that sometimes it can be from something environmental and the valium itself can be enough to curb the seizures, possibly permanently. I'm really not all that hopeful, I honestly think it is epilepsy, there just really isn't anything she could have gotten a hold of that could have hurt her. But either way, she said that she is going to call me on monday to see how she is doing, if she still hasn't had any seizures than we are just going to take it day by day, if she is still having them than she is going to prescribe phenobarb but she said she will have to give me the pill form and we will have to cut it to size and then crush it and mix with water to administer it to her. So for the moment we are just trying to keep her stress levels as low as possible and I'm trying to get some weight back on her so if necessary in the near future we can possibly have a blood draw done.

Most Reactions