Baby conure always chirping?

jwebb47

Dec 9, 2020
I recently got a green cheek conure, shes about 2.5 months old and the first few days we brought her home she was doing great! she’s bonded with me very easily and is already learning some new tricks. But all day, she is chirping very loudly, even when i get her out and let her hang out with me, she is just very loudly chirping. she has plenty of foraging toys and things to do, we built her a whole pvc play area! When i’m in the room and she’s in her cage she is freaking out trying to find a way to escape to get to me and chirping a storm. I was just wondering if this was normal or if there was any way to hopefully calm her down? Are the chirps a good noise?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new green cheek conure!

At 8.5 weeks your conure should be weaned, but sometimes tge wean later or revert to baby behavior with the stress of a new home.

Whenever I hear of a young bird chirping, my first instinct is they are begging for a hand feeding of formula. You can get a pet store sbd follow directions and offer by spoon.

Also Birds flock call to keep in contact, use a phrase or whistle that you always use to respond.

This young baby, needs a lot if attention, guidance snd support post weaning. Its a critical age for parrots. They wouldn't be alone. And most of our parrots want to be with us as much as possible, tgey are flock creatures not solitary creatures. Work to exclude them in to as much if your life as possible, and use cafe only fir safety and sleep.

I look for some articles .
This one is a good start
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Development stages in parrots great article, except below.

" That part of the weaning stage is particularly stressful for the young parrot. It is a gradual transition from a totally dependent state to an independent one. The young parrot will have much to learn. It is also the time of the acquisition of many social skills; the moment when the young parrot makes its "debuts" among its parrots fellows.

It must learn how to recognize the cries (dialects) of its social group (in captivity, it will learn how to associate some sounds of the human language), detect and avoid predators, find a safe place to sleep; all of the skills needed to ensure its survival and the security of its group. It is through the observation and imitation of parents and peers, that the young parrot will acquire and refine its survival skills and its social competencies.

Socialization is the process by which the bird acquires its social experience and survival skills. For the baby parrot to become a balanced adult, the same level of attention must be given to its psychological development then its physical development. The young parrot needs to receive an acceptable level of socialization to be able to evolve in its environment.

With the help of its parents and the members of its group, the young parrot will gradually accumulate new experiences until it reaches the time to be able to assume its independence. It is a gradual process for the young who will go through several levels of independence before reaching maturity. One of those levels is.... the not well-understood period of puberty."

http://www.parrot-parrots.com/important-stages-life-parrot.php
The Important Stages in the Life of a Parrot

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts