Baby Ringneck Question

calais_caprice

Nov 16, 2009
Hello,

Just recently I have been hand raising a 6 week old ringneck. I was just curious when I speak or go near his cage he/she makes like a rumbling/purring sound. It is hard to explain. I wanted to know if it is affectionate or he wants me to go away lol.

Thanks.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I'd suspect it is more likely affectionate, or at least a pleasant reaction: I suspect he is responding to you, perhaps some initial mumbling efforts to speak or communicate.

Of course it COULD be aggressive, but I suspect this would be obvious from other behavior: he would try to bite, be fluffed up, eyes pinning, etc.

Unless he is displaying all sorts of other aggressive signals I strongly suspect this is a pleasant sound.

dakisgirls

Sep 10, 2009
U.S.
Parrots
I have a blue and gold macaw along with an indian ringneck parakeet.
My ringneck makes a noise like that! And when I stick my finger in his cage after that he steps up, so I suspect it's an affectionate behavior as when he's moody and wants me to go away he will bark at me (Yes like a dog, I am not crazy!) and he will gently nip me. So I assume it's afffectionate and that theres nothing to worry about.

Tumbala's Girl

Sep 8, 2009
Michigan
Parrots
Tumbala - sun conure
he will bark at me (Yes like a dog, I am not crazy!)

Dakisgirls - Your not crazy...Tumbala does the same thing...usually when there is a cat on my lap! LOL :D

C.C. I would have to agree with the previous posts. My conure makes some wierd noises sometimes but besides barking at the cats he always seems to be in a good mood when he is making them. :orange:

OP
C

calais_caprice

Nov 16, 2009
Thanks for the replies. My ringneck has started to cheep and be more vocal. I am sure it is out of affection. I have started holding my parrot frequently. I am so attached!!! I have only had my baby for a week. <3

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Good luck with your ringneck !!! :orange:
Sounds like he/she is sure settling down.
Most birds make funny mumbling and purring sounds.
Guess they are just showing affection.
Enjoy your birdie time !!!
Take care

Most Reactions

Latest posts