Bad Blood Test-Mango not drinking

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Hi guys,
Its been a long time since Ive been on here, but Im wondering if anyone else has any difficulty convincing their birds to drink? Last year Mango's blood test revealed slightly elevated uric acid. The vet said since every thing else was perfect, that he was probably just a little dehydrated. I added some extra water dishes to his cage and didnt get overly concerned. He has never been a big drinker and prefers running water. He drinks from the taps and when he has baths but Ive never seen him drink from his dish in his cage. His blood test this year indicates much higher levels along with elevated bilirubin. We are now much more concerned about getting him to drink. Im looking for some ideas on how to get more water into him. He goes in for another check in 6 months and I would like to have much better results by then. While not an immediate threat to his life, chronic dehydration could lead to kidney and liver dysfunction and long-term complications.
Thank you!

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
My vet has me giving Zilla ice in her water since that seems to encourage her to at least play with the ice which leads to her drinking at least a little of it.

I also went to the health food store and bought organic (nothing in it but pressed cranberries) juice and have been freezing it in an ice cube tray then putting a cube in a separate dish with a little water (enough to make a 50/50 to 1/3 juice 2/3 water mixture) and she loves that!

Zilla also likes to drink whatever I'm drinking, so I let her have my ice water.

You might call your vet and ask if they think the cranberry juice would be good to try, mine gave me the idea and said it would be good for her kidneys.

OP
MeganMango

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Do you have the name of the juice? Thats a great idea and probably not too sugary. Mango likes to drink with us, so we always offer him his own glass of water, its just in his cage he isnt interested. Thanks for the suggestion! Im going to look into the cranberry juice.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Do you have the name of the juice? Thats a great idea and probably not too sugary. Mango likes to drink with us, so we always offer him his own glass of water, its just in his cage he isnt interested. Thanks for the suggestion! Im going to look into the cranberry juice.

Lakewood Organic Fresh Pressed Cranberry Juice and I got it in the health food section of my local Fred Meyers. The ingredients are "cranberries" and that's it. My vet did caution to make it at least a 50/50 mix with water, so I make it at least that or 1/3 juice to 2/3 water. I freeze into cubes so it doesn't spoil before Zilla will drink it, and she loves ice anything!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Apple juice usually works! Hand feed him him some AJ in a treat cup a couple of times a day... Cranberry juice is good for them if you can get them to drink it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts