bad day

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
20180603_130352.jpg

took him to get a beak and nail trim, while the person was working on his other foot, he reached around and grabbed the dremel x.x
They stopped the bleeding (the powder stuff and holding pressure on it) and bandaged him up.

Note: He's usually in a carrier in the car, he just can't really stabilize himself right now so though it would be less stressful on him if I held him

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh, poor Lincoln! So sorry to hear that! Hope he's okay.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
he seems to be doing alright, really startled but physically o think he's okay. They said to leave the bandage on for about an hour (given he doesn't take it off himself) and if it's still bleeding to use some flour
though I've heard mixed things about using flour, should I stop and get some of that powder stuff that's generally used for when a nail is cut too short?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Owww. Poor Lincoln, should heal quickly, and hopefully he won't be fearful next appointment.

Flour works well for a minor cut/abrasion, but if a continuous bleed, styptic powder is best. I believe it contains a similar ingredient to the "shaving sticks" humans use when cut.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I took the bandage off once we got him (an hour had passed) and it's not bleeding but when they tapped it they tapped a little cotton pad in there too, a bit of it stuck to the wound, should I leave it be / will it be okay if he picks at the cotton? Or should I soak his food in some water to get it off?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I would leave it. Soaking might break up the clot and start the bleeding again.
I took the bandage off once we got him (an hour had passed) and it's not bleeding but when they tapped it they tapped a little cotton pad in there too, a bit of it stuck to the wound, should I leave it be / will it be okay if he picks at the cotton? Or should I soak his food in some water to get it off?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Lordy poor boy. My boy did the same thing a month ago. No damage, but it’s scarey!

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Oh the poor boy! :( sorry I'm a broken record here,but..WHAT A FACE! :D

I'd leave whatever is remaining of the cotton pad too. Maybe wait until tomorrow then soak his footsie? The boo boo should be well enough closed by then.
Is he using it? Standing ok?

Jim

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hoping for Lincoln's speedy recovery!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
He seems to be doing really well, he isn't favoring the foot at all and seems to be walking around just fine.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Poor Lincoln! I take it the cut is on the pad of his foot?

I'm definitely a fan of flour over styptic powder, only because styptic powder can burn them a bit.

One thing, though. You couldn't have put the description of the injury before the pic instead of after? Lol! For those of us who have grown rather fond of Sir Lincoln, seeing his foot bandaged up like that makes the heart drop around 10 floors and has the mind going through all sorts of scenarios. "Gasp! He lost his toe! His foot! He's been mutilated!!! What's happening?!?" Scared the living daylights out of me! (I know. Only a taste of what you went through the moment it happened. But still! Lol!)

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Taking a picture prior would have been a good idea probably but I was more prioritized on making sure my baby was okay x)
it just looks like only one toe was minorly affected. It still has the powder and a bit of the cotton pad stuck to it but I will see if I can get a decent pictures, for now here's a picture from a tad earlier to assure everyone he still has all 8 toes.

20180604_080248.jpg

it doesn't look like his chest feathers faired well in the past day but due to the stress of yesterday I was expecting it, unfortunate but expected.

edit:
misread and you were saying descript before picture not picture of before bandage oopsies. in my defense I've been awake all of 30 minutes.

Last edited:
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
20180604_082725.jpg

idk about you guys but I can't even see where he was bleeding from, I see specks of blood near the end of the toe but that's really it. How can so much blood come out of something I can't even find D:
also looked under his foot but I didn't really see much there either

if I hadn't been there and didn't see all the blood and stuff I would probably think nothing was wrong unless there's something I'm missing x.x

now that I'm looking a tad closer the scales look more worn, could that be it? like a kind of rug burn?

note; I didn't see the incident happen, i was in the back of the shop getting a bag of shelled almonds for him so I don't know exactly how he grabbed it and what not.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'm glad it seems not to have affected his grip or anything. Yeah, it definitely looks as though some of his scales were rubbed raw. Thank God that was the extent of it.

Will you be finding somewhere else to have his beak and nails maintained? Seems like a rather careless mistake on their part.

And no worries on the misreading. You've been through quite a bit in the past 24 hours.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I have gone to this place many time and have never had a problem, accidents happen sometimes and sure it could have been avoidable but a lot of accidents are avoidable. I like how they handled the situation with being quick to stop the bleeding and take care of it and all of that. This is the third place I've taken him to have beak and nail maintenance and so far it's my favorite even after this incident and I actually think it's Lincoln's favorite too. Vet and other shop he was screaming bloody murder and was very very stressed after but here he doesn't scream once they've got him toweled and secure and he isn't nearly as stressed afterwards, even with this incident he was good to go once we got the bandage off and gave him an almond. They staff there has always been very knowledgeable and helpful to me and always answering my questions about anything and everything. I truly think it was just an innocent accident and the person that was handling him at the time will be more careful in the future. Now if anything like this happens again I will definitely not be so willing to forgive

From here on though I will probably be sticking closer and keeping an eye in things to make sure my boy is doing alright and wait until after to get his big bag of almonds but yeah, I'm willing to give a second chance due to how they handled it and past experiences.

If you guys disagree that's fine and I would love to hear your opinions on it as I'm still new to parrothood

Last edited:

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Poor little man, that photo pulls on the heartstrings! Glad it was only a minor abrasion in the end. Like Anansi, my heart was in my mouth for a little there!
Lincoln looks so happy all the time :D Even with a bandaged foot!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Was Lincoln groomed at a pet shop?

Jim

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
A place that specifically works with birds (nothing else) and has 2 people trained specifically for grooming birds. They take in rescues and try to find homes for them and do a bit of boarding too, should I not be doing this?

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Poor little footsie-wootsie!

Get better immediately, Linkie-winkie.

Sorry. BABYTALK HAPPENS!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
he seemed to be favoring his foot a little earlier but he's still walking around and what not fine so I'm not sure if he's just being a big baby or not but keeping an eye on it. Probably gonna see about giving him a shower tomorrow and maybe giving the foot a good soak.

would do it today but have been sitting in the doggy ER for about 2 hours now. Lovely week I'm having tbh

Most Reactions