Banana

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
How the heck do you all feed your birds bananas? My guys love them, but once I open a banana to give them some, it just gets all nasty. So they really only get banana when someone feels like eating one (and I despise bananas, so...) since I don't have enough birds to use up a whole banana.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I always pick bananas that are not really ripe yet. That way after I open(?) them, they will last a couple of days with a baggie over the end. Ekko is my only one who likes them, and even for him I have to dip each piece in unsweetened coconut..lol.

OP
Selestine

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Yeah =/ unfortunately none of my babies are fans of the dried type. I think what they like is the mushiness of the banana (they're all gaga for soft foods.. little babies!!).

I'll try some under-ripe ones :)

lucy1

Nov 6, 2012
UK
Parrots
Milo - my new baby B&G macaw! Rosie - Orange Wing Amazon & Rupert - Red Lored Amazon
I'm with you on this, mine love banana but I seriously can't stand them. When I buy them I have to put a bag over my hand so I don't get that horrible banana-skin smell on me. :eek: :eek: Yuck!!!

I buy them slightly under-ripe and (wearing gloves!) cut them in half with the skin on. Peel half and give to the birds, and wrap the end of the other half with cling-film to stop the air getting to it. Leave it somewhere cool if you can, but don't put it in the fridge, it'll go yucky.

Mine usually get the other half the next day, but if it's not too warm in the house it will last 2 days if the cat doesn't eat it first... :rolleyes:

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
unfortunately none of my babies are fans of the dried type

I had this problem, my solution was to soak the dried bananas in apple juice to soften them up a bit

Not too long or they get mushy

Got my 30 year old Zon to change his habits and eat dried Bananas !!

Joe

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I havent tried this but you may be able to give it a try. Can you cut it up and freeze it in portions? It may go a bit funny when defrosted but should still be fine?

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
You could always store unused banana in an airtight container in the fridge, or buy Lady's fingers bananas, which are very small?
Failing that, make banana bird bread :p

Last edited:

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Sometimes I shudder at the thought of eating a banana but when I go to my daughter's I eat about one a day. :D But the have to have a little green in them otherwise they are too ripe for me.

I buy just one for the week for my macaw and cut it off a bit at a time. Whatever is left is put in a baggie and left on my counter for the next day or the day after. You can go several days with an open banana (I leave it in it's skin). I put it in a baggie because of possible ants and bugs but I know people who just leave it open on the counter for a day or so. Seriously, bananas are tough stuff.

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
Just freeze them. They turn brownish, but that doesn't hurt anything and doesn't turn off the birds. I HATE bananas (too squishy) but I don't mind banana bread, so I save the squishy brown ones for human consumption by freezing and then share with the birds.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
All these Nanna Haters...... Nana Haters Gonna Hate!!

How about a good old fashion Banana Split ??? You hate them ?? LOL

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1RFRoleEd0"]The Banana Splits show - YouTube[/ame]

OR

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysogK6v21I"]BANANAS IN PAJAMAS THEME & LYRICS - YouTube[/ame]

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Hmmm, north of me in Fredrick, MD.
Ok - now I really want ice cream. Good thing for me my favorite person to share a banana split with is my dad and he will be back in the area on Saturday/Sunday. Sounds like we will need to plan an ice cream run.

I could do a ice cream run in PA. :)

BUT don't you have dental appointments?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I open one, and hold it up.

Then they come running over and grow a banana beard.

The biggest pain is cleaning up the flung banana when they shed their beard.

OP
Selestine

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots

Mine do this with plums :)
plumbeard.jpg

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
Hmmm, north of me in Fredrick, MD.
Ok - now I really want ice cream. Good thing for me my favorite person to share a banana split with is my dad and he will be back in the area on Saturday/Sunday. Sounds like we will need to plan an ice cream run.
I could do a ice cream run in PA. :)
BUT don't you have dental appointments?

Aww, sharin a Banana Split with your dad, how nice!! My Rissa and I have done that !!
LOL, PA is a LONG "ice cream run" better bring some Dry Ice !!

No dental appointments this week, But we are going to see baby on Saturday the 21st
So I will be about 125 miles east of Fredericksburg MD @ Georgetown Hwy, Harbeson, DE
Google says there is a DQ in LEWES, DE !!

Sounds like I'll be feeding my baby Mac a Nana in the SHOWER !! LOL

Does your Amazon like it too? My sons doesn't like the dried or the fresh banana.

Try soaking dried banana in some Apple Juice for a short time (not too long) Worked for my Zon

Mine do this with plums :)

Great Shot, THANKS for Sharin!!

Joe

Most Reactions

Latest posts