Banana's

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I was out to di8nner last night with my bro..and the place we frequent know all about Amy and BB. Pamala the barkeep asked me if I knew that "they" inject some sorta STUFF into the 'nana's so they have a longer shelf life :eek::eek:
I had no idea! Pammy said to buy only chiceeda(sp) or only organic.
I did some shopping today for the kids and found Delmonte "organic" at a much higher price of course. :eek:
Anyone else ever hear of this nonsense?

Jim

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
I always thought it was something they sprayed on the outside to retard ripening. Didn't worry about it cause I don't eat the peal.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Tiels go after the peal of the banana but never eat the inside.
When I let them out to fly we try to keep the bananas covered up.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I always thought it was something they sprayed on the outside to retard ripening. Didn't worry about it cause I don't eat the peal.

I thought this too, but now I feel that a Google quest may be in order.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
that was great scott...thanks!!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I've never heard that either, not ever...With fresh veggies and especially fresh fruit, I always assume that the peels/skins are probably going to have been sprayed with something at some point, so I obviously always wash everything well and peel all fresh fruit before giving it to them anyway. But I didn't know they "inject" bananas with anything...uhg...I hate buying "organic" produce, it's so much more expensive...There's got to be a regular, non-organic brand that we can confirm doesn't inject anything into their bananas...

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I've never heard that either, not ever...With fresh veggies and especially fresh fruit, I always assume that the peels/skins are probably going to have been sprayed with something at some point, so I obviously always wash everything well and peel all fresh fruit before giving it to them anyway. But I didn't know they "inject" bananas with anything...uhg...I hate buying "organic" produce, it's so much more expensive...There's got to be a regular, non-organic brand that we can confirm doesn't inject anything into their bananas...

They are safe-- the injection thing appears to be a wives' tale. See the link in previous post debunking the claim. Hip-hip-hooray!

Most Reactions

Latest posts