Bath Question

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
Bob told me today that she'd like a bath (I caught her bathing in the water dish). What I'd like are any sugestions on discouraging drinking from the bath, and bathing in the water bowl.

Suggestions on how long to microwave refridgerated water to get it to a reasonable bird bath temperature would also be appreaciated.

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
When I had parakeets the female would try to bathe in the water dish so I put a larger bowl on the bottom of the cage that she immediately started using. I know nothing of training though so I'm not sure how you could train Bob not to drink from the bath water. All I can suggest is keeping an eye on the bath water many times a day & changing it if Bob has decided his new bath is also a toilet. Good luck.

usamimi

Oct 30, 2011
North GA
Parrots
Kevin the Congo African Grey (DNA'd F) and Ra the Sun Conure
our conure hasn't figured that out. He has several baths in his cage, does he use them? no. Does he enjoy dunking his head in his water bowl more? yes.

Mitchell

Jan 11, 2012
Houston Texas
Parrots
Baby Vosmaeri Eclectus (hatched 9-11-11)
Just leave the water out until it gets to room temperature to avoid hotspots, and I agree..shallow bowl of daily changed water on cage floor.

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
My conure bathes in her water bowl too. I change it 2-3 times a day or more if needed. There doesn't seem to be any stopping her.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My conure bathes in her water bowl too. I change it 2-3 times a day or more if needed. There doesn't seem to be any stopping her.

Same here. She also dunks her pellets so as you might guess, her water needs changed several times a day. It's always a mess, lol! And sometimes right after I change it, she takes another bath.

You could try giving her a water bottle. However that still won't stop her from drinking the water she bathes in as well I would guess.

Smaller birds that can fit into their water bowls are probably just going to bathe in it no matter what. You can add the second bowl and maybe she will like that one better, but she may still drink from it.

OP
S

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
Thanks for the responses, though I wish someone had posted a magic method of fixing the bathing problem.

Most Reactions

Latest posts