Flyte

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Rocky has been to an avian vet several times, as have all my birds. Since I know what the current problem is and I'm working to fix it, I really don't think a vet trip is necessary. My health really wouldn't permit me to go, anyway, unless it was an emergency.
Like I said, Rocky wasn't doing much at all, he was very depressed while I wasn't here to play. I had a good year of not being able to do much, from the three surgeries. In the hospital or just sick in bed. My mom was taking care of them but she is actually legally blind. She can see but not that well :)
I blame myself completely, I should have noticed sooner, even though I was on a lot of pain medication and not really 'with it'. Nothing I can do about it now, I'm fixing the problem and it will not happen again since they are on a much better diet.
He had toys and things to chew/play with during my absence but didn't really interact with them, just watched TV.
I was hesitant to do the beak trim but there are no vets around here that would be able to help me with it who had any experience. I did a lot of my own research about beak, anatomy, blood flow & growth. I could see where it was broken, I was confident there was no blood flow there. I would not recommend anyone doing this, as it IS very dangerous, but it was definitely giving him problems holding his food and eating.
I only trimmed a small amount every other week or so until I got to the broken spot. Again, I agree, this should be left to trained professionals, but better yet, should not be allowed to reach this point. I didn't have much of a choice.
He already looks better, and seems much happier. I think the better food is really doing the trick. For all of us actually.. we are all eating much better now.
If theres one thing Rocky does well, it's eat. I'm definatly not having any problems with getting him to eat healthy foods anymore, he's eating it all hidden away in the good food he likes. Thanks though, for the suggestions!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I blame myself completely

You shouldn't, you have done what you thought right for you and your fids, and thats what matters.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
He already looks better, and seems much happier. I think the better food is really doing the trick. For all of us actually.. we are all eating much better now.

I'm so happy for that!You know I can say I eat a lot healthier as well since I buy fresh food for my fids!

Phoebus' beak was not at the best condition when I got him, flaking, dry long and blurred.Now it looks just perfect!He has done a good job with it by chewing his wooden and plastic toys, and by eating his healthy food!

I'm sure things will be better for Rocky from now on! :D

Most Reactions