Beak trim?

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
This is Addy. I've had her for about 6 mos now. I was told she is 12 to 14 years old.

I've noticed that her beak is quite a bit longer than Fidgets. I've done some reading on it and it seems that most people say not to trim beaks unless it's keeping her from eating or causing other problems. It doesn't seem to be doing that that I can tell. She has wood toys in her cage and chews on them occasionally.

I thought I would come to the experts and see what you thought.

Thank you
f0cb60265e65c6ba79aca29f80e3ef27.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Hmm, it seems well shaped. As long as it doesn't seem to bother her, limit her eating(how is her weight?), or cause her discomfort it will probably be fine.

What does your vet think? Rapid beak growth could be something, could be nothing. Usually better to err on the side of caution and ask a vet if available. Edit to add: the nails look a little long too. A vet could also trim them a bit for her.

She sure is cute, though. The red lored's at the parrot shop were always such sweet amazons. :)

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
My Sam is a BFA who is 37 years old. I would guess that he has had his beak trimmed four times in his life. When it starts to really curve back towards the throat, and get very pointy, the vet just takes a little off with the Dremmel. He hardly notices. I think your Addy is fine for now. Just keep an eye on it and it will work out.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great advice provided above. Yup, a nail trim is due.

As stated, an Avian Professionals (certified Avian Vet (CAV) would be best) visit should be a major target on your todo list. And, that should include a 'New' Parrot physical, which commonly include a complete handed on review, full blood screen, stool sample test, plus weight. In addition, an Avian Professional should be the only one to ever trim a beak as there is a nerve bundle connected to the beak and get the trim wrong could result in your Amazon not eating.

It appears that Addy is comfortable in your home.
Congratulations on rescuing an Amazon!

Enjoy.

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
Thank you for the responses. She has seen the vet once, 3 days after I got her. She broke a blood feather and it had to be stitched closed. He gave her an exam at that time but we didn't do bloodwork. She weighed 472 gms at that time. I think she has lost some in the process of trying to improve her diet, but her diet is much better now.

As far as her nails, yes, I know they are long again. Plans are to get them trimmed again this weekend. Those things seem to grow really fast!

She really is a sweetie. Very gentle but VERY timid. Anything new and she freaks out. She's still getting used to stepping up, (with pine nut bribery!) But is definitely making progress.

I'll go ahead and make an appt to see if the vet will trim her beak just a bit.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree it is a tad long. Hopefully after this and with her happy life she will keep it better shape.

My GCC had gotten hers really long. And I was debating. But first I tried getting her more soft chew stuff, cuz she wouldn't chew the mediums hard stuff. I'm surprised it did work!

A d I so agree what a gorgeous Fidget! Her eyes look happy too! Great job

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It looks a smidge long.
For me I would keep an eye on it, by itself I would not take a bird in for that alone but with the nails (talons) it's worth the trip.

I love RLA One of the most beautiful Amazons that are common in NA but no less desirable for that.

Most Reactions