Bedtime with Sonny has not been fun...

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
If you only have the Happy Hut in his sleep cage ,I suggest you get one for his main cage too. It is a perfect place for him to go and take a nap. Also a great place to go when they are drying off after a bath.

OP
shotz71

shotz71

May 31, 2012
New York
Parrots
Sunny - Green Cheeked Conure (Our little boy was DNA tested a little girl, so Sonny is now Sunny)
Thank you!

I will check it every day for strings...he looked so cute snuggled up in it. I will probably get one for his main cage too, though he is very rarely in that cage.

:)

OP
shotz71

shotz71

May 31, 2012
New York
Parrots
Sunny - Green Cheeked Conure (Our little boy was DNA tested a little girl, so Sonny is now Sunny)
I just wanted to post an update and THANK you all for your advice!

It has been almost 2 months with the Happy Hut and our bedtime routine. On MOST nights when I shut out the light, I place Sonny down on his cage door and say "nite nite"...he walks in the cage all by himself and climbs into his Happy Hut.

Yes, he still sits in there and grumbles for a little while, but no more crying. Some days he goes right to bed...other days he might throw a little tantrum if he's not ready for bed...but it is so much better.

Thank you all again! Green Cheeks are such little loves :)

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
Good to hear it's all working out for you!

I thought I should add that Birdy would much prefer to sleep on me while I watch TV then get sent to his cage.
Medium levels of movement and sound don't bother him as much as you'd think, as long as he's comfortable and it's dimly lit. Basically I let him sleep on me until I need to go to sleep myself - and by then he's willing to transfer to his happy hut, especially seeing he knows it will be quiet there.
If you want you can try it for yourself!

(Birdy has had a strange upbringing though, and he can even sleep in the hood of my jacket while I walk around outdoors at night)

mudkips-albums-bird-e-bird-picture4586-his-favorite-place-cuddle.jpg

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Cute pic, Mudkips!

The smallest movement will cause Boomer to jolt back out of sleep when he is on me. Sometimes he'd go back to napping, otherwise he's back to running all over the place. I wish he would be more of a heavy sleeper like Birdy :)

OP
shotz71

shotz71

May 31, 2012
New York
Parrots
Adorable picture Mudkips! I agree...Sonny would MUCH rather sleep with me or my husband. There is almost always someone home and he hangs out and naps with us all day. I'm sure he would rather sleep the night with us in our bed at night, but of course...I guess because he is with us all day he doesn't get why he has to go in his cage at night.

http://www.parrotforums.com/members/shotz71-albums-sonny-picture4255-snoozin.jpg

everdusk

Oct 27, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Marzipan (Hahns Macaw) & Pip & Monte ('tiels) // In Memory: Countess ('tiel), Primrose (GCC), Pauly, Star, Yoshi & Keitaro (budgies)
I was going to give some advice but looks like everything was resolved!

Prim always does a little bit of cute talk for 5-10 minutes when we put her to bed. It honestly sounds to me like she's re-iterating everything she learned throughout the day and practising talking "What are you doing?" and kisses. My problem is actually that she's so cute it's hard to resist cuddling her!

I have my own hand made version of a happy hut made with fleece and no thread, so it's super safe (since fleece isn't thready either). I think some people feel concerned that it will bring out mating instincts but I haven't had a problem with this. It's a bed time only sort of deal. I'm actually surprised your bird took to it so fast! Prim slept on the outside of her hut for a week or so before she dared to enter.

OP
shotz71

shotz71

May 31, 2012
New York
Parrots
I was surprised he took to it so fast too!

I decided against putting one in his day cage, and when we travel, I don't put the hut in until it is bedtime, so I think he just sees it as his bed.

I will just keep watching to see if anything changes as he grows up!

:green2::)

Most Reactions

Latest posts