Beeswax sealer

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I checked online to see if beeswax is safe for parrots, and all the information provided was about candles. Anyway, on my conures lowest branch there is a couple or large cracks, and of course keeping it clean was a daily thing, because the poop goes inside the cracks. She really doesn't go on this bar unless we're outside and she's confined to her cage. So I took out the bar, cleaned and disinfected it, dried it in the sun, and cut slivers of beeswax (a small block) and pressed it all in the cracks and the back of a knife to level it out, and it really seemed to do the trick, and it looks much better. We'll see how it cleans lol!

Last edited:

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Something that I use is hot glue. It is non toxic and you can fill in perches with big gaps in them. I have used this on my java tree, it has made cleaning a lot easier! I learned about this on a site that said that zoos use hot glue when gluing several sticks together to give to parrots to play with. Make sure you check the bags of glue most of them say non toxic, these are the ones I always go with.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
You might be better off using carpenters or white wood glue, both are safe, then, after washing, sterilizing and drying, glue, clamp, then screw the cracks.....

Sealed-in open cracks can grow bacteria, i.e. bacteria that may not have been killed, sealed into cracks & continues to propagate.....

Most Reactions