Beginning of Behavioral Change

enzo

Oct 7, 2013
Hello everyone. I'm a new Amazon owner. I bought Sky, a 5 month old female blue front about 3 weeks ago :green:. About a week ago I noticed her urine was red and took her to the vet. Apparently she was suffering from zinc toxicity. The vet and I believe it was a bell on one of her toys (stupid toy companies, I should sue for the cost of the 4 digit vet bill :mad: )

Anyways with some chelation therapy and some antiobiotics, antifungal and probiotics (she developed an infection as a secondary affect to the zinc toxicity) she is doing much better. The problem started when I had to force her out of her cage to go to the vet's 3 days in a row and come out to get her meds twice a day (morning and evening).

She is now very distrusting of my hand and now does everything in her power to avoid it when placed in her cage (no biting though). She will climb, hop, jump onto her perches but will not go onto my hand. This is a complete 360 from her normal behavior and I understand it's most likely due to me having to force her out of her cage while she was sick (being a parront is tough!) & she now is scared and distrusting of my hands. Once she's out she's the same old sweetheart but I'd like some tips on how to fix the trust issue that's developed now.

Also the breeder weaned her onto Zupreem fruit blend and I'm trying to switch her to Roudyboush high energy breeder (for the next 3 months or so and then i'll switch her to maintenance pellets). The vet said her protein levels are low from the blood work and recommended either Roudybush or Harrison's. She's not making the switch very easily though. Any tips?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You might try a different size of pellets or even trying Harrison's.

With working with a fearful bird, this article may help.

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

Sorry to hear she's had a rough start in life but I hope she's doing better now! As long as she's sick though, I wouldn't be concerned about diet change so much as making sure she maintains weight.

You can also try to increase protein intake by feeding cooked eggs once or twice a week and feeding quinoa or other healthy grains and legumes cooked or sprouted.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Does she like peanut butter? My guys will do *anything* for that! It's how I got them to come to my hand when they first arrived. I just smeared (and I do mean 'smeared') a tiny amount onto the tip of each finger and let them lick it off. Before long, they were clamouring to sit on my hands and arms to get their treat. Now, all I have to do is pick up the jar and two birds are in the hand. Honey works too. Since your girl has been sick, I'd think now would be the time for a bit of spoiling with fattening treats, just until she's well again. But check with the vet first, of course!

OP
enzo

enzo

Oct 7, 2013
Thanks for the advice guys. With the medication she's back to normal and appearing even better than before. She's already gotten over her hand fright and she's back to stepping up on my hand on cue.

Plus she's switched to the roudybush pellets. All I had to do was use it as the treat in her clicker training sessions.

I love it when a plan comes together ;)

CaitlinBird

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Achilles my blind Cockatiel, she is four years old.

a Moluccan Cockatoo that it's over 30 years old.
Awesome. Glad to hear the success!

Most Reactions