Behavior and weather?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
My 11-year-old "too" recently started a round of much-hated antibiotics (Baytril). Since then, she has seemed very nervous/jittery, but generally healthy---I think the behavior has been most noticeable today and she started the meds Saturday evening.

I called the vet and she suggested it was related to the weather (we are going to drop like 25 degrees in a day and there is a lot of wind). Wind chills are expected to be well below 0 tomorrow. Is there any truth to this? I have never noticed it before if there is....
For example, I brought a small piece of spinach to Noodles tonight and she flew (poorly) out of her cage before smacking her butt on the seed skirt. She NEVER does stuff like that. After she knew what it was, she ate it, but it was like this jumpy/paranoid bird took over for a minute..."AHHHH GREEN LEAF!!!! OH...okay...." She seems to be okay and is eating as we speak, but that whole butt-collision incident freaked me out. She has flown without warning 3x in the past 24 hours, and usually, that happens like 1x per week...

I feel like this could be medication related, but I am not sure...I did add a TINY bit of sugar to the drugged oatmeal in order to increase the likelihood of consumption, so I also wonder if that may be the root of the issue. I will admit that I never give her sugar (except when naturally occurring, as in fruit).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Noodles, baytril is one of many antibiotics that can actually effect the mind. Making them feel nervous and jittery. You are so in tune with your baby that you pick that up, or she is just more sensitive to the medicine. I think metronidazole does this as well..... If you see a more intense reaction it can be worth it to switch meds... Many vets forget or over look this, even the best ones.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Also if you didn't like my sugar suggestion, even though you used a tiny amount. If she eats grapes, you can just inject the medicine in to a grape and feed her that. The vet can give you a syringe, or I think you buy over the counter at a pharmacy.
Ta-dah took her meds in a piece of bread the size of my fingernail, that I added a little apple juice and the meds just enough for the bread to asorb. Sorry all my suggestions are sweet, cuz that's what worked for me, fir to eat all at once fast ;)

Last edited:
OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
The sugar works better than a grape because she can drop them too easily lol--that's what used to do though. Thanks!

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Jesenice, Slowenia, Europe
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
I have no experience with the ''bird + antibiotics'', but I'd say it's the medicine messing up your fluff... mine does react to the weather (I do too...), you can clearly see the change in behaviour on a perfect sunny day and a winter-cold-snowy-mess day... but it's never nervous or jittery... I hope you can switch the meds to something that fit her better and not mess with her brain :)

Most Reactions