Behaviour Questions

oOBubbleBoyOo

Jun 25, 2014
Hello, I'm new to the forums :). I have two green cheek conures, about 3 months old, their names are Django & Cleo, we don't know their gender but oh well.
They are very affectionate and sweet, they like to cuddle together with me during naps and enjoy eating with the family. What I don't understand is the difference in behaviour. I know gcc each have their own personality, but I see that Cleo can be very aggressive when people try to touch him/her, even me. But Django doesn't mind. They both like nibble and groom my face, but even though I know Cleo loves me :) he/she still acts aggressive when trying to pet or place your hand near it's body. I heard it's normal for conures to not like being touched but Django doesn't seem to mind. Actually, I think Django is a girl, she has been nibbling my ears and face excessively. Again they are very sweet and don't hurt anyone, just need some suggestions on how to get Cleo to trust me more. They bonded with me very quickly, and I know people who work very hard to earn their conure's trust that take them longer.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Hi Bubbleboy :)

Sounds like Cleo doesn't trust you. Chances are you are moving too quickly or forcing physical contact without really "asking permission" first. You'll have to look for signs and learn Cleo's body language before trying to pet her/him and move slowly. Parrots are animals of prey and are very easily intimidated by quick movements or sudden grasping.

There's also the possibility that Cleo simply does not enjoy being cuddled the same way as Django. Conures are known to be cuddle bugs, but not all of them are.

Also, I would recommend DNA sexing your birds so that you know if you'll have to consider mating problems or egg binding in the future. If they're from the same clutch, it won't be healthy if they end up mating. :)

Congrats on your two babies! Sounds like they already have you wrapped around their little zygodactyl claws ;)

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
6 yr old Sun Conure (Ducati)
Ducati is the same way. He constantly wants to be with me and in what I'm doing. But the same with Cleo, you try to pet him and he wants to bite you.

So what I'm trying to do is basically train him to let me pet him. Right now we're working on beak scratches. What I do is stick my finger out close enough to where he starts getting uncomfortable and keep it there until he calms down. Then I take it away and give him a treat. We've gotten to where I can scratch him two or three times until he tries to bite. If he lets me scratch without trying to bite he gets a treat.

It is slow and sometimes frustrating. Just be patient (something he is teaching me ALOT about) and soon you will be able to give him all the little scratches you want.

yann

Oct 19, 2013
hey:) sounds like we're in a very similar situation!except mine are sun conures not green cheek conures~
one loves cuddles and the other still wont let me touch her anywhere except the beak!

for bonding, you could try trick training with favourite treats as rewards, or just generally spend more time around cleo.

however if she really does not want to be touched, i would just accept it and try fun interaction without touching involved. i've already accepted that my gal wont be enjoying scritches anytime soon...but i know she does not dislike me. she will do tricks for me, step up, flight recall and even call for me to take her out of the cage!:) dont be discouraged if cleo does not enjoy being cuddled, it might not mean that she does not trust you.

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
Sounds like normal conure to me. They can be very hesitant about touching at first, but once you get them started, they become velcro. Occasionally one is a love bug from the beginning, but that's the exception to the rule.

My current GCC is my 4th conure (I've had a sun, nanday and another GCC) and she's the only one who was always cuddly and that was due to the hobby breeder I got her from who socialized her really well.

mrmightyfine

May 30, 2014
Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Parrots
Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure (Charlie, born 17/03/2014) & Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure (Tango, born 29/05/2014)
I was lucky with Charlie. He was silly tame when I got him from the breeder. I can handle him virtually how I like and he doesn't mind (I am very gentle with him by the way). After a little work he will now drop his head when I ask if he wants a head rub. He will let me rub/ scratch his head anyway but now he does it if I ask him.

tinks

May 6, 2014
My green cheek doesn't want me touching him unless he gives permission - that is different than him not wanting me to touch him though. I have a way of asking him. I put my thumb to my fingers (think how you signal about money) a couple inches from his beak. If he backs off, I don't touch him. If he presents his head or fluffs his feathers out - then it is time to scritch.

Most Reactions