Being a bully

Coyote

Nov 24, 2013
Kentucky
Parrots
Cockatiel
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Hey guys. I have a 3 month old double yellow headed zon named Tater. He's definitely in his "terrible twos", i.e. bluffing stage. We are getting through this just fine except in one area. While I and my human family members can ignore the lunging and biting, my other animals can't! Basically, his bluffing toward us is getting better, but he's very suddenly decided to launch himself at our dogs and cats and try to scare them off.

First off, I NEVER leave my birds unsupervised with my other animals. Secondly, my dogs are extremely friendly, well socialized, and get along with all the other animals in our house. So when Tater flies at the dogs, they simply back away and leave the room. He also will fly at my cockatiel, especially if I am holding him.

My worry is that eventually they may lose their patience and snap at him. Tater is being a jerk, and I would like him to cut it out. How to I reduce his bluffing at the other animals? Or am I going to always have to keep them in separate rooms? This would be very frustrating considering that he is the only one misbehaving, while my dogs, cats, and cockatiel are being polite.

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
He will probably adjust in time to the other animals, he's only 3 months and he's scared of the furry monsters and jealous of your tiel. My flock has adjusted, it takes time and each bird is different. :) Chin up.

Most Reactions

Latest posts