Belly Rubbing

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
We all know how bad it is to rub their backs. But, there is a lot of disagreement about rubbing their bellies. Very few of my birds ever let me scratch their bellies. Though, many birds seem to like laying on their backs & getting scratched on their bellies. What does everyone here think?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Some bird do not like being touched anywhere like my Rosie (TAG). I have trained her to let me touch her when I say the word touch first. Conures seem to like to be touched on belly for a short time but I think they think it is play.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My conure doesn't really like to be touched anywhere. She has her moments, but mostly I can just touch her beak and feet.

Pete and Merlin seem to let me touch them anywhere, but I mostly just pet their heads/necks. However now that Merlin has no grate, she stepped in a big poop right when I got home from the doctor. I had to wash her feet and beak, and thankfully she let me. I have to think about this grate situation. I do have a lot of doctor appointments and of course I have to leave sometimes for other reasons. I may need to get that custom sized SS grate.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Merlin loves his belly tickles, his fav areas to be scritched are around his ears/head, neck, and on his belly when he's sleepy. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts