Bert the troubled Alexandrine Parrot

Mchal

Dec 7, 2011
Parrots
Bertram - Alexandrine Parrot
I have never owned a parrot before and I brought Bert home from the pet store about 4 weeks ago. At the store they said he was approximately 8 weeks old, when I got home and did more research I read that they were supposed to be weaned at about 12 weeks and that forced weaning can cause further psychological trauma down the line (at this point I was freaking out and became quite concerned about what I had done. Increasing supply and demand for these little parrots that are being forcefully weaned and making troubled birdies later on.)

But this is no longer my main concern, it took him about a week and a bit to settle in properly and after a few nips and more online reading we reached a respectful place in our relationship where I saw the signs he didn't want to be touched or taken out of the cage and I could chat to him, calm him down and get him excited to come out of the cage.

He started to get really excited to see me and he would make happy baby screeching noises when I would talk to him. He even started to like being scratched on the nape and I could touch his back and his tail, we were going so well!

He wasn't warming to my partner like he was to me but would tolerate him. But unfortunately my partner does not quite understand the ways of birds (much to my own and Bert's annoyance) and I would be constantly telling him to stay away from Bert if he didn't want to be touched. Which was obvious from the backing away, flat feathers, flashing eyes and eventual biting.

My partner obviously did not like being bitten and some one told him that when the bird bites, to flick him on the beak and say no. This where my trouble started. He flicked Bert on the beak and ever since Bert has been in a foul mood. (But to be clear I do not agree with flicking or any physical abuse).

He will growl when I come close to the cage and try to stick his beak through the bars to bite me and is behaving viciously. He wipes his beak a lot (which I read was a sign of displaced aggression, if he doesn't have anything on his beak, which he doesn't). He hasn't been making any happy noises at all and I can't even change his food or water without getting bitten.

This has been going on for about four days now, I haven't been able to take him out of his cage at all and I want it to stop and get our relationship back on track, but I don't know how!

Just as a disclaimer he has so far not been an overly sweet bird (I was hoping we would get there eventually) but he was at least happy.

Please help!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
This could be a hard one. Some people just don't understand birds, or animals in general and automatically think punishing them is the way to go. They don't understand this, as you know. And parrots are pretty sensitive little things. I hope your partner either understands his mistake, or at least will just avoid the bird for everyone's sake.

My sister's husband did this to her Meyers. The bird was already upset that she had found a mate that wasn't him, and was attacking. Walt flicked him on the beak and tried to tell me this worked because the bird wasn't attacking him anymore (just backing off). The problem was none of us could handle him anymore either without getting ripped to shreds. She wanted me to take him, but he wasn't even letting me feed him or clean his cage without getting attacked, and she was having the same problems. Had I not been working then, I would have taken him and tried to work with him, but I was and had a bunch of my own animals that needed my attention.

Birds have a very long memory. I would try a lot of passive interaction with him. Try sitting in front of his cage, on the floor and just talking to him, without a lot of eye contact. You can also imitate him if he sticks his tongue out at you, or makes a head bob. If you get obvious happy behavior like stretching or tail wagging, say, "I'm glad to see you, too!". Keep your head sideways and try coy smiles and giggles. Maybe hide under a blanket and peek out once in awhile. They seem to like playing peak a boo. A good passive game for a start is blinking. Try a long slow blink. If he blinks back, that's a good start. Imitate that with him for awhile.

Just be very patient and I hope you both get back to the good start you had! I hope your partner will join you in this at some point. If he doesn't, hopefully he can deal with this being your pet instead of both of yours. My ex bf did seem to have a hard time dealing with my Blue Crown, who just hated him (not for any good reason, and he seemed to be the only person she just down right didn't like). It was hurtful for him. We tried to get him to win her over by feeding her her treats, but it didn't really work. I tried to explain to him that some birds are just that way. They make snap decisions on whether they like you or not, and just won't change their minds sometimes. Still, it bothered him. He had managed to not only make friends with my horses, but came to really like them even though he was afraid of them at first. But, the bird never gave in, and would lunge at him every time he walked past her. Some relationships can deal with these things better than others. And, sure it can hurt your feelings that your partner's animal hates you.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I'm so sad to read this... There are so many nerve endings in a birds beak, and it would have hurt a lot... All my birds love their beaks stroked, and if that is pleasure, imagine what a flick could do...

I would go back to square one and start again... Pretend you don't know the bird and work from there... and make sure your friend stays away from him...

ceejay

Nov 13, 2011
nsw australia
Parrots
galah aka red breasted cockatoo
very good advice roxy!! and i agree with lene i would start from square one again. i had lots of issues with sheldon (my galah) when i brought him home if you read (galah with lots of issues) in this forum you will see what i mean. i thought he would never stop biting hissing ect.. now this wasent due to the reason you have (flicking the beak) but it took alot of patience and time to get him where he is today. i had bought him from a man that was just an out right idiot. lied about his age saying he was 13 weeks when after a vet check i found out he was a year old this combined with a awful diet and the man grabbing him by his tail when he flew off the perch he had him sitting on was disaster for me. but i just sat with him while he was in his cage and talked to him in a soft voice now when i come downstairs in the morning hes chirping and ready to come out of his cage(which took about 3 weeks) sheldon was terrified of me but after alot of patience and understanding he finally came around. i had the same issue with my husband when he would get to close to sheldon he would try attacking him. as my husband is only here at night and works 6 days a week so he wasent around sheldon like i am 24/7 what i did was this... when my husband was here i would sit with him i would be on the floor sheldon on his perch and my husband standing up to the side of him i would give him a scratch and then as i was scratching him my husband would say scratch? sheldon would move towards me because at first he was reluctant to allow my husband to touch him. it took a while of doing this but eventually he allowed my husband to scratch his head. it took me a good while to gain sheldons trust and alot of bites lol and i wouldnt go so far as to say he 100 percent trusts me yet but we are well on our way patience is the key! and routine ! birds are very smart and they remember when someone has hurt them. i would say start over work slowly and have lots of patience i would keep your partner out of the process for now until you can get back to where you were.

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
Aww, the poor baby....it would be best if your partner just left him be instead of reacting that way....
Birds rub their beaks for a number of reasons.....I never heard of it being a sign of aggression...maybe someone can fill me in on that one....my caique rubs his beak to clean it when he has eaten and to show affection....my lovebird is the same way as is my hahns....
Can you just imagine how scared this little guy is....after getting flicked he is not only scared but mad....
Eight weeks old when being sold just breaks my heart....it is just my personal opinion you guys so don't get angry at me.....here is just a suggestion and others can help me out here with their opinion but what if you offer him some bird formula? Maybe some of his cries are from hunger....it was just a thought that ran through my head.
Good luck to you and let us know how it goes...I would be interested to see how this turns out.
By the way....my hahns hates my son for no reason...so my son just leaves him be....birds tend to pick their people...

Most Reactions

Latest posts