Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people
Whats the best bird for me?
I did research on the ones that I want--a larger bird
(Senegals, African Greys, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conure, Eclectus)
Which one would do better with a busy owner (Note: I'm trying to get a stay-at-home-job) and somewhat quieter, for neighbors sake. Money isn't a real big issue. Do you guys have any other bird suggestions?

:greenyellow::yellow2:

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i'd totally go for cockatiels! quiet, not too demanding, flexible with schedules (they arent too picky if you change routine as much), they're cuddly, affectionate, and just downright awesome birds! though i might be bias lol

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I have a senegal and for a "bigger" bird she's pretty quiet. Very playful and loves to hang with me and get scritches. She can be very focused on what she wants and it's hard to distract her.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I would say cockatiel as well. If you like one, you can always get another to keep the other company. My brother in law had 4-5 and had a bird room made just for them. Come to think of it, he put a window in the wall so he could watch them in the adjoining room.

MagicBirdie

Oct 2, 2013
NY
Parrots
Sunny and Snowy: budgies
Mango: cockatiel
Potentially: Bo B&G Macaw
Non-parrots: Crystal and Marble: silkie chickens
Dusty: guinea pig
Yes, cockatiels are great!

yfdsssssssssss (that's my tiel typing)

Also, pyrrhura conures are pretty quiet, that includes GCs.
African Greys, too, but they're not as well suited for busy people. When you get to work at home, perhaps you could adopt one

Make sure to do your research! :)

OP
I

imbadatmakingusernames

Banned
Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people
Thanks you guys!
So I am probably going to get a Cockatiel first, hopefully a pied, cinnamon, or whiteface. :white1:
Then move on to a Senegal, and I really want to try that window idea!!!

MagicBirdie

Oct 2, 2013
NY
Parrots
Thanks you guys!
So I am probably going to get a Cockatiel first, hopefully a pied, cinnamon, or whiteface. :white1:
Then move on to a Senegal, and I really want to try that window idea!!!

Mango's a lutino. I really like pearl cockatiels, too. But I think personality is more important than color, so if you can, maybe you could interact with the breeder/pet shop/ bird rescue's tiels and see which one you like and likes you :)

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Senegal... And I'm not just saying that because I own one. I've had cockatiels, loved them but too chattie for me and can't stand their calls. But they are adorable. Senegal, yes they can be loud at times, and even sound like cockatiels (in my case Rio speaks cockatiel perfectly) but they are not as demanding as a grey, or a too. I know nothing about the Ekkies except they are beautiful. I can leave Rio for the day without feeling too bad about it. And when I get home she gets to climb all over me. But when I need to put her away and I need some 'me' time, I can do that and she is perfectly ok playing by herself.

MagicBirdie

Oct 2, 2013
NY
Parrots
Senegal... And I'm not just saying that because I own one. I've had cockatiels, loved them but too chattie for me and can't stand their calls. But they are adorable. Senegal, yes they can be loud at times, and even sound like cockatiels (in my case Rio speaks cockatiel perfectly) but they are not as demanding as a grey, or a too. I know nothing about the Ekkies except they are beautiful. I can leave Rio for the day without feeling too bad about it. And when I get home she gets to climb all over me. But when I need to put her away and I need some 'me' time, I can do that and she is perfectly ok playing by herself.

Heh? You don't like their adorable whistles? I guess it's different when you have more than one.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
since you seem to be somewhat creative (thus your name, btw, I laughed when I read it), like most mentioned a cockatiel would probably be your best choice. I breed them, but also have many pets here, I just love them. Conures would be my second choice, but require more attention.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I had a cockatiel as a child. They are not loud and do not mind getting attention when you can give it to them. If you have to work and go to school this bird will do fine. However, they are very chatty birds. Pyrrhura conures such as Green cheek conures are not loud but conures such as Sun conures are and some people use to large birds can not stand a conure scream (something to consider if you live in a apartment complex). To be honest my theory is the conures pitch is what makes their screams so unpleasant to people. I had Green cheek conures and they are usually quiet but can let a loud noise if they wanted to. They are also a bird that loves attention. I love Captain Jack (my Hahns macaw) but he loves a lot of attention. This may sound strange to some I do not find his noise that bad. Of course his scream pitch is different then a conures. He squawks instead of making a call that is more in tune to a smoke detector.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment

Heh? You don't like their adorable whistles? I guess it's different when you have more than one.

Well I had two, they drove me nuts. But I do love cockatiels, especially when they are on a roll.

OP
I

imbadatmakingusernames

Banned
Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people
I had a cockatiel as a child. They are not loud and do not mind getting attention when you can give it to them. If you have to work and go to school this bird will do fine. However, they are very chatty birds. Pyrrhura conures such as Green cheek conures are not loud but conures such as Sun conures are and some people use to large birds can not stand a conure scream (something to consider if you live in a apartment complex). To be honest my theory is the conures pitch is what makes their screams so unpleasant to people. I had Green cheek conures and they are usually quiet but can let a loud noise if they wanted to. They are also a bird that loves attention. I love Captain Jack (my Hahns macaw) but he loves a lot of attention. This may sound strange to some I do not find his noise that bad. Of course his scream pitch is different then a conures. He squawks instead of making a call that is more in tune to a smoke detector.

So many choices!!! Now I'm reconsidering a GCC (since there's barely any breeders in Honolulu, I think Senegals might be out of the question:()

OP
I

imbadatmakingusernames

Banned
Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people
since you seem to be somewhat creative (thus your name, btw, I laughed when I read it), like most mentioned a cockatiel would probably be your best choice. I breed them, but also have many pets here, I just love them. Conures would be my second choice, but require more attention.

Haha thanks, consequences of joining a forum at 3 AM.

And I have a quick question, is it true that some mutations of Cockatiels are hardier than others?

OP
I

imbadatmakingusernames

Banned
Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people
Okay!I'm defiantly going to get a Cockatiel (hopefully soon)!
Senegals are really hard to come by, as well as GCC :(

Still trying to find a stay at home job for an African Grey (probably going to have to buy one since none go into the shelters) or a Blue and Gold or Harlequin Macaw

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
IF you have close neighbors, macaws are the last birds you want. Although my macaws behaves pretty good, but I live in a house away from my neighbors. Any bird can be noisy but it just depends on you on what you feel is noisy. Go visit them before you make any sort of decision. I'm a sucker for Cockatiels as I've been raising them for years and a home is not a home without Cockatiels in it. They're really wonderful birds!!!

OP
I

imbadatmakingusernames

Banned
Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people
IF you have close neighbors, macaws are the last birds you want. Although my macaws behaves pretty good, but I live in a house away from my neighbors. Any bird can be noisy but it just depends on you on what you feel is noisy. Go visit them before you make any sort of decision. I'm a sucker for Cockatiels as I've been raising them for years and a home is not a home without Cockatiels in it. They're really wonderful birds!!!

Defiantly, gotta go around the neighborhood asking them if its okay haha!
Plus my room mate, so far they just agreed for a bird. I absolutely love cockatiels though! Such a hard decision!!! (Plus I'm thinking of an aviary-I have no clue what I'm doing anymore)

Thatdude596

Banned
Banned
Oct 13, 2013
I have only had cockatiels parakeets and now a sun conure. I absolutely love my sun conure! He makes us smile daily

Most Reactions

Latest posts