Tallahassee, FL
Parrots
Squirrel-GCC (suspected male),
Alice- female cockatiel,
Beattle- male lineolated parakeet,
No name yet- female lineolated parakeet
Dingo- male American budgie,
Darwin- male English Budgie
We feed zupreem fruitblend and roudybush. I rotate them. The breeder I got my grey from suggested that feeding them a few different kinds helps them not get used to just one brand, because what if that brand stops making that pellet, then what? Or what if they change something in the formula and the parrot doesn't like it anymore? We are going to add harrisons to to mix too. Just a thought.

Me too, my birds are on Roudybush and Zupreem naturals. I add various seed mixes in, but at quantities where even if they eat all the seed in the dish, they'll be hungry and have to eat the pellet. And they're seed mixes with all sorts of ground up non-seed things in them too- fruit and nuts and grains and veggies.

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
Count me in for Zupreem as well - either "Wild and Spicy", "Garden Goodness", or "Harvest Feast". I used to feed the fruit blend, but prefer to serve real fruit (apples, blackberries) instead. Which they won't eat, even if I munch on it in front of them. (they will eat carrots and even broccoli, thanks to my demonstrating that the eeeeeeeeeevil food isn't going to hurt them... and even after I eat some of their pellets. It's like Trix only without the gobs of sugar...)

I've read Harrisons is a good brand and I might switch once my current supply of Zupreem runs out... or gets close to it, since parrots can be finicky..

I will feed seeds as treats, and the very rare Nutriberries treat (but anything with propylene glycol is probably not healthy, especially as (a) it's a very potent sweetener, which (b1) can become addictive to birds very quickly and (b2) can also be found in antifreeze... and, of course, (c) that stuff crystallizes the kidneys in humans if a sufficient quantity is ingested. It's not a good way to go... To make Nutriberries an important part of a bird's diet is more horrific than anything else, IMHO...)

Last edited:

Most Reactions