Best Method/Policy For Selling A Bird

Amazon4Sale

Jul 18, 2012
I hope I'm posting this question in the right section of this forum....

My fiance' owns a Double Yellow-Headed Amazon, which she's had now for about 7 years...

Since meeting my fiance' back in 2010...I've been the only one that has really spent any real time w/the bird...being just one of few who can hold her, feed her by hand and NOT get bit doing it...and the only one who can pet her...

But for the majority of the time, the bird is in her cage and covered up in a spare bedroom!

I feel bad at times for keeping her hidden, but it's the only thing that keeps her quiet during the day so I can run my business from home!

After talking to my fiance' about this, we've agreed that it is in both of our best interests (Ours as well as the birds), that we find her a new home...but I have no idea on how to best go about selling her!

There are no pet stores in the small town I live in and I can't post on craigslist because of their rules/regulations regarding selling of animals, so I'm now trying to get information from the 'experts' (You Folks!) on how to best go about finding her a new home!

Any suggestions/ideas is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I don't know why you can't list your bird on Craigslist unless your a breeder and want to "SELL" your pet. If this is correct then I can see your problem. Craigslist allows private owners to post their family members or pets to be rehomed with a very nominal rehoming fee not a purchase price or retail price. This is the same rules as we have here on the classifieds section, which is not open to breeders or retailers.

You also have an option of posting on Ebay classifieds, which are a lot less restrictive with their posting rules.

To me, it would be best to post your bird on here as well as Craigslist and Ebay Classifieds with a small rehoming fee that could be waived if you find the bird a good home. I would much rather see you give the bird away since it has now been desocialized and not very manageable. I would also recommend you take the bird out of the back bedroom and uncover him during the day. Yes, he will be noisy for a bit, but will most likely settle down in time.

I would also suggest that you do interviews and home inspections of protential new owners to verifyl the bird is going to a good home and not a breeder or bird flipper.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey, this is a good starting place. You need to tell us about where in the world you are. Parrot forums are a good place to find good birdie homes but not to sell them. Depends on what you want out of this situation,piece of mind or a couple of bucks? We'd love to help but you see where we've coming from. If i can't appeal to your sense of compassion then he's chances at a good life go way down. Don't mean to make you feel unwelcome, we'd love to help you fix the situation. Hang around and read though some old topics.

Last edited:

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Agreed we don't look to make a quick buck or two on here our best interest is that the bird finds a loving home and will be well looked after its sad that you have to give up such a beautiful animal due to work you ain't the first and won't be the last person to have to do this and I hope you find a really nice home for her and good luck.

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
Why dont you contact one of the many bird rescue places and ask thm to help you rehome the bird which sounds like it needs to be. Unless it the money.

SunConureMom

Jun 23, 2012
USA
Parrots
Calie - (M. Sun Conure, hatched 3/12)
I hope you find him a good home. Craigslist does not allow the selling of pets. If you tell us where you are located someone might be able to help. A bird rescue place might be your best bet as Didomum said.

OP
A

Amazon4Sale

Jul 18, 2012
Thanks for all the replies folks!

I've been getting the bird out of the cage for a few hours...here and there...and even bring it out into our front-room when we have company over and she does fine!

Once in a while, I'll hang one of thick ropes from the ceiling and let her just 'hang out' for a bit...

I never thought about Ebay, so I'll look into that...as well as this forum as well and I only mentioned not being able to sell on Craigslist initially because I never saw the reference to "small re-homing fee OK"...but not quite sure how that works!

As for the fiance' and I', we're located about 60+ miles outside of Spokane, WA....small town called Colville.

What are we looking to get out of this situation...?

I'd like the bird to find a good home, maybe one where she can have some 'friends' ...but at the same time, getting a reasonable offer for her!

I think my fiance' has a digital camera somewhere, so I'll try and get both some pics and videos and will update this thread here in the next day or so.

Again, I appreciate all the comments/suggestions and will do my homework into learning about what re-homing fees are and how they work!

Cheers!

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I'm relatively new here so I might get yelled at for my comments. If you're sticking that bird away covered up so you can "run your business", I personally feel you're doing a great dis-service to this bird & I don't really see why a "rehoming" fee should even apply in this case. This bird needs a home where it will be properly cared for and loved/appreciated. I don't think there's a soul here that has ever placed the "value" of a bird over the bird's welfare itself. A very dear friend of mine runs a rescue and I KNOW what this bird will eventually do to itself if it continues getting treated this way. I know this may come across a little harsh, but don't you think the bird's welfare is more paramount to putting money in your wallet? My apologies if I offended you, not my intent, but I did feel it needed to be said.

Respectfully,

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
At this point, it sounds like the best thing to do is find a knowledgeable bird person who may be willing to work with your bird and find a good place for him. Reasonable offers are obviously subject to opinion, however the only birds people are willing to pay a "reasonable" amount for are ones that are very tame and in good health with recent vet exams and a nice cage to boot. Regions are also subject to different prices as some parrots are harder to obtain in the area. I would seriously begin by looking at what constitutes a good home that can give this bird a better life and then pursue that.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Wharf rat calm down this person is in a tough situation and has made the first step towards making this birds life better speaking from experience I have purchase birds form craigslist that I really couldn't afford or have a home for just to get them out of a horendous situations (like the Lavander Crown Zon I found in a small cage sitting on the floor with cats circling her she had never had a bath and her only taught behavior was the wolf whistle I pay the guy his $500.00 and didn't speak to him except to say goodbye.) I was working in Boston and living in the Parker House Hotel not what anyone would call a stable home envoirment, here is a video of her first time in the shower. Shower time video by Friedsoup - Photobucket

OP
A

Amazon4Sale

Jul 18, 2012
For those interested, here's a few pics and a video of our bird!

small03c.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAivZ-Xx-rg"]Double-Yellow Headed Amazon - YouTube[/ame]

IMHO...I think the bird's doing pretty damn well given all that's going on around her at the time the video was made!

On a side note, I've talked to my fiance' some more about her bird and she's had a change of heart...for the time being...and thus, we won't be looking for a new home for her!

I've made my fiance' keen on spending more time with the bird HERSELF...as for now, the bird and "I" get to hang out for about an hour or so each day..give or take a few minutes here and there...

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
For those interested, here's a few pics and a video of our bird!

small03c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAivZ-Xx-rg

IMHO...I think the bird's doing pretty damn well given all that's going on around her at the time the video was made!

On a side note, I've talked to my fiance' some more about her bird and she's had a change of heart...for the time being...and thus, we won't be looking for a new home for her!

I've made my fiance' keen on spending more time with the bird HERSELF...as for now, the bird and "I" get to hang out for about an hour or so each day..give or take a few minutes here and there...

Beautiful bird... So happy you have decided not to rehome her...

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hope things work out, ask questions if you have them. Thanks for giving him another chance.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I am really pleased you are giving him another chance :) Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress with Him :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts