Best Pellets

adewolves

Jan 9, 2024
Parrots
Two quakers and a green cheek conure
I got my 16 week old green cheek conure yesterday. She's hand tame, although a little skittish at the moment due to my noisy little twosome, Kiwi and Ocean, my Quakers. Like my quakers I want to get her onto pellets, but wondering which ones to buy. I got some from the shop yesterday, but as I was in a rush I bought Psittacus Omega, which seem somewhat big for a conure, or maybe not, as its my first conure. Any suggestions. I lIve in the UK. I've just lost my beloved African Grey and used to feed her on Harrisons High potency course, is there an Harrisons more suitable for a conure.

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
I use Mazuri pellets and they work very well, they have no artificial flavors so they are very healthy. Though I recommend since they dont have any artificial flavor, to give your parrot some treats and fruits and vegetables so they can taste something good.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

You’d be surprised about what your parrot can eat! My green cheek eats TOPs pellets, the large ones, as does my Quaker.
The best pellet is the one she’ll eat! My green cheek has also eaten Caitec oven fresh bites (also called All Living Things) and loved those.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Be aware that abruptly changing foods can result in the parrot starving themselves. They like what they like. Do it gradually over several weeks and it will go better for them.

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
Be aware that abruptly changing foods can result in the parrot starving themselves. They like what they like. Do it gradually over several weeks and it will go better for them.
yes there is a special way to do it i recommend the 12 weeks to a perfect parrot book which has a way of doing it and i did it with my bird cuz she used to hate them

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Here's my pellet story...
Too many are kept on seeds or other poor-nutrition things. They need veggies, legumes, grains... pellets are a good staple. Here's what I use.
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. He's now 40 and going strong (fingers crossed). I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products. Oh, and another idea... I can usually get my bird interested in food if I eat it in front of him, making loud happy "it's good!" noises...

Most Reactions

Latest posts