Best type of conure?

Mr.PicklesIsMyBaby

Nov 9, 2012
Parrots
Mr. Pickles: Green Cheek Conure/Sun Conure Hybrid
Well, ok. I got this hybrid conure named Mr. Pickles and he is a hand tame green cheek conure and sun conure hybrid(mistake by the breeder). While no one is home which is about 8 hours a day, he must get lonely. Would it be best to get another conure to keep him company? No one is against it in my family and they would all happily get another bird. I would get two more cages for him/her(one sleep cage and one play cage) and the birds would just be able to see each other all day and scream to their hearts desire. Any ideas? Thanks!:green2:

OP
M

Mr.PicklesIsMyBaby

Nov 9, 2012
Parrots
I've had Mr. Pickles for about 6 weeks.

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
It depends on where you live, if you live in a apartment, a sun conure isn't the best choice because they can be noisy and loud. This is totally my opinion, but I likes the pineapple green cheeked conure, they are a cute little bird. They're great for any house since they don't make as much sound as some of the other conure.

What kind of house do you have? Do you want a cuddly bird? Can you handle the noise? How much will you be willing to spend for your parrot each month? Different bird have different personality and needs, so choose the right one is important. :)

OP
M

Mr.PicklesIsMyBaby

Nov 9, 2012
Parrots
I live in a house in the middle of no where, noise isn't a problem, I will spend as much money as I need to, cuddly would be nice, talking would be nice but of course none of those are a necessity!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'm all for parrots having some sort of companion to live "with" - at least in the same household if not the same cage! That said, a lot of parrots do fine as single pets!

The questions are for you. Can you handle everything, times two? Double the noise, the mess, the handling/interaction, the vet bills, the food and toys, etc?

If yes, then perhaps it may be worth it. Best type of conure? Well, the one who probably gets along with you and your family! Are there any breeders, stores or rescues/sanctuaries in the area that would allow family visitation to interact with various birds to find one that would best fit into your home?

Maybe a jenday would take your fancy, or perhaps a dusky conure? Maybe a black capped?

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
If you wants a conure that are good talker, a blue crown conure are the best talker compares to the other conures.
Half moon, nanday, green cheeked, peach fronted and orange fronted are all fair talkers, while the rest doesn't really talk.
For the cuddliness, all conure are about the same.
And average lifespan, the blue crown and nanday are the longest living, 25 years.

If you would like to know more about conures, there's a really good site call the "parrot and conure world". Make sure to check it out.

If you have anymore question, feel free to ask me. :)

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
If you wants a conure that are good talker, a blue crown conure are the best talker compares to the other conures.
Half moon, nanday, green cheeked, peach fronted and orange fronted are all fair talkers, while the rest doesn't really talk.
For the cuddliness, all conure are about the same.
And average lifespan, the blue crown and nanday are the longest living, 25 years.

If you would like to know more about conures, there's a really good site call the "parrot and conure world". Make sure to check it out.

If you have anymore question, feel free to ask me. :)

As an apartment-dweller with one Blue Crown, I will second that.

For an aratinga, the Blue Crown is remarkably quiet.

Tybbi is a good little talker, but the green cheeks are all more talkative and squawk far more regularly with their chirps and calls (which aren't aimed at each other; sometimes one bird will chatter, and later another will). But Tybbi usually imitates my laughs, sneezes, "I love you", "How are you", "I'm fine" (and all of those in context, frighteningly), and does emit a crying noise (just like Rusty). Tybbi also makes a slight 'coo' noise at night, which the green cheeks still can't get right.

Tybbi, surprisingly, barely gets louder than the 3 green cheeks when they scream.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013

There's a cherry headed conure on this forum that is 30 years old! ;)

I wish I knew how old my cherry head was when he passed away. I knew he was at least 17-19 years old, but I suspect he was probably older than myself.

My mitred conure will be 19 this year, and I know he was in fact born in 1994. I suspect I'll probably have him for several more years! :D

It's generally considered that the large conures have a longer life expectancy than their smaller counterparts, although both can live for 20+ years.

Most Reactions

Latest posts