Best way to clean rope perches and boings?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty has a round circular rope boing ( the cotton multicolor type), its his main hang out spot. I added a wood perch that goes thru the middle , bisecting the circle. It get totally filthy with poops and dropped food ( its where he gets his fruits and veggies - all pellets are offered in his cage). I wash it like 1x a week or so, in the bath tub, soaking it for awhile and then scrubbing with with a brush, and really rinsing it well. But it gets the obvious stuff off and I think there is a fair bit of debris that gets into the cloth strands and is impossible with my method to remove. Any one have a better way to do this, or some cleaner that might be better then plaiin water?

We have ordered some replacements ( 3 of them ) but they aint cheap, so if I can prolong the life of these perches it would be great.

Mr. Wallet and Mrs.Mastercard say thank you!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We use the magic dishwasher.

After removing the pump filter cover and cleaning out anything (cotton strands) that may have collected in front of that filter. We than run an empty 'cleaning' cycle after all the the Amazon odds and ends had been washed.

We do not use the 'heated' dry cycle, choosing to let them dry in the Sunlight.

FYI: Pre-Trim any cotton (loose) strands prior to placing the rope in the dishwasher!

Last edited:

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Soaking / scrubbing in apple cider vinegar then cycle thru dishwasher. Great natural cleaning agent to kill bacteria, yeast, etc :)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I just soak them in a tub for a few minutes, then run a scrub brush over them under the water. Everything comes right off.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
If they're particularly icky I soak them in the sink with hot water, or warm with vinegar. I've never run mine through my dishwasher (though my old one was a piece of junk) scrub as needed and hang up where there's airflow and sunlight, usually for me the kitchen since I have the ceiling fan going right now. Just make sure they're dried completely.

I really want to get a big boing for Gonzo but too expensive right now! I bought stuff to make one but can't find wire cutters that will go through what I bought!

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I use a small scrub brush and use a lot of dish soap. Then rinse off really well, usually do all this outside and rinse with a garden hose. Gets everything from what I can tell.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
FYI: Cutting spring wire is difficult and commonly require more force than most electric wire cutters. Hacksaw, SawsAll, Cut-off Wheel, BoltCutters, etc... will have an easier time of cutting spring wire.

Start asking around your DIY friends and you will quickly find someone who has what is needed.

Marileen

Aug 31, 2016
Netherlands
Parrots
Harry-Male-African Grey born in 2000
Toon-Male-African Grey born in 2001
Bob-Male-Budgie born in 2014
I always put them in the washing machine.
It works perfect..... they are completely clean.

janquito

Aug 10, 2016
Wisconsin
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one sun conure, and two quakers.
I use vinegar to clean most everything. I have one of the sprayers that I can switch between shower head or the sprayer. I like to use that because it has a strong spray & I can use hot water.
I watched a video on YouTube on making a boing. The woman bought a horse lead & wire. I bought some rope, wire, pvc caps, screws, etc & will attempt to make two for the aviary.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dang, now I gotta buy a dishwasher too? Guess the one I married won't do.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
FYI: Cutting spring wire is difficult and commonly require more force than most electric wire cutters. Hacksaw, SawsAll, Cut-off Wheel, BoltCutters, etc... will have an easier time of cutting spring wire.

Start asking around your DIY friends and you will quickly find someone who has what is needed.

Unfortunately I think I bought too high a gauge of wire because none of the bolt cutters or anything will cut through it, just smush it. I have a friend that works at Lowes so I might just have him cut it down into smaller sections like I should have originally!

Most Reactions

Latest posts