Question about Cleaning Perches

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I bought my McCulloch steamer online through Amazon [emoji4] I'm a huge fan and will never go back to not having one. Cleaning two cages takes me 30 minutes tops, and that includes cleaning toys, perches, and nearby stands. I also love that they reach a high enough temperature to disinfect, so I just complement the steamer with my diluted vinegary spray.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Ooh I hadn't thought of Amazon. As long as shipping isn't bad I could try there. The Canadian Amazon is normally kind of pricey though but I'll see if I can find one.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I need to get a steam cleaner. I just wish my house wasn't all carpets.

Home depot has them on sale right now, almost half off... on that other link.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus

I find that when steam cleaning my cage, there is not a big wet mess underneath. I put down a large towel (more to catch things that get blasted off than for moisture protection) and when I pick it up the floor beneath the towel is dry. The water is coming out as steam, so it's already in the process of evaporating right out of the nozzle. It leave the cage bars wet, but not saturated and drippy. It's a little messy, but probably not as bad as you would think.

Having just one cage, the handheld model works fine for me. It's really the only thing I use it for, so I can't justify buying the floor model that's on sale, in addition to what I have, but I did think about it!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Ooh I hadn't thought of Amazon. As long as shipping isn't bad I could try there. The Canadian Amazon is normally kind of pricey though but I'll see if I can find one.

Yeah, I had to get mine off Canadian Amazon too. They sell it on the American one for less, but of course it won't ship to Canada from the .com site. I got mine shipped with prime, so it was here in two days and for free [emoji4] Anytime you sign up a new account, you get Prime status for a month for free. It's pretty awesome. And they're super reliable and safe so long as it's sold by or guaranteed by Amazon itself.

I had an issue with buying cages from them because the company selling the cages didn't send the appropriate boxes, so I'd end up with only 1 box of 2. Happened three times... each time I just sent it back for free (box was unopened because I knew the second box wasn't coming), and was refunded within 5 business days. Generally only took 24 hours for the refund, too. They've got great customer service for the most part.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Dinosrawr, can you please tell me which one you have? I'll try and find it on Amazon.

I looked at Canadian Tire and Home Depot's site but they don't have any steam cleaners at all, other than the mop ones.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I find that when steam cleaning my cage, there is not a big wet mess underneath. I put down a large towel (more to catch things that get blasted off than for moisture protection) and when I pick it up the floor beneath the towel is dry. The water is coming out as steam, so it's already in the process of evaporating right out of the nozzle. It leave the cage bars wet, but not saturated and drippy. It's a little messy, but probably not as bad as you would think.

Having just one cage, the handheld model works fine for me. It's really the only thing I use it for, so I can't justify buying the floor model that's on sale, in addition to what I have, but I did think about it!

I have six cages, four playstands, and the birdroom floor... SO YEAH, BIGGER IS BETTER!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Dinosrawr, can you please tell me which one you have? I'll try and find it on Amazon.

I looked at Canadian Tire and Home Depot's site but they don't have any steam cleaners at all, other than the mop ones.

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0000DF0RB/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448404217&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=mcculloch+mc-1275+heavy-duty+steam+cleaner&dpPl=1&dpID=41Wo1b1PSEL&ref=plSrch"]McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner:Amazon[/ame]

It's that one. It's on a way better deal than mine was though, which makes me kinda mad but it benefits you!

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Thanks! Unfortunately even with the sale it's way out of my price range. I was looking for one for about $70 max. I'll keep looking :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Black Friday might help with that, Katie.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Thanks! Unfortunately even with the sale it's way out of my price range. I was looking for one for about $70 max. I'll keep looking :)

You only have one bird, which means there isn't much to clean (comparatively). You can probably get away with a hand held, and those are only about $40 or less.

I've seen them in stores for as little as $25.

Check Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, any of those types of stores will carry them...

And there you go - Amazon $25 - just like I said!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/HLA-ui-243-32e-Handheld-Steam-Cleaner/dp/B003TJ4T8S"]Amazon.com - Handheld Steam Cleaner - Handheld Steamers For Cleaning[/ame]

You're welcome!!!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I paid $80.00 for mine on sale. Its small but does a great job. I only have one cage so did not need anything bigger

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Wagner-0282014-500-Watt--Demand-Steamer/dp/B003PGQI3Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448461348&sr=8-2&keywords=steam+cleaner"]Wagner 0282014 1, 500-Watt On-Demand Power Steamer and Cleaner, Vacuum & Dust Collector Accessories - Amazon Canada[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-915-0282014-500-Watt--Demand/dp/B003PGQI3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448461454&sr=8-1&keywords=steamer+wagner"]Amazon.com: Wagner 915 (0282014) 1,500-Watt On-Demand Power Steamer and Cleaner: Home Improvement[/ame]

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots

You only have one bird, which means there isn't much to clean (comparatively). You can probably get away with a hand held, and those are only about $40 or less.

I've seen them in stores for as little as $25.

Check Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, any of those types of stores will carry them...

And there you go - Amazon $25 - just like I said!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/HLA-ui-243-32e-Handheld-Steam-Cleaner/dp/B003TJ4T8S"]Amazon.com - Handheld Steam Cleaner - Handheld Steamers For Cleaning[/ame]

You're welcome!!!

Ah! Perfect! And it looks like the perfect apartment sized one.

I'll do a search on the .ca part of the site and hope I can find one!!

Edit: Oh man, it's $169 on the Canadian site :(

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Handheld-Steam-Cleaner-by-HLA/dp/B017O5E3WE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448473057&sr=8-1&keywords=Handheld+Steam+Cleaner+HLA"]Handheld Steam Cleaner by HLA: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

Time for some more googling LOL. If the seller on the .com ships to Canada even with duty/exchange rate/shipping it might be cheaper. I'll have to check!

Last edited:
OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Ok, I bit the bullet and bought it from the US site. It's $50 US (unit + shipping) so with the exchange rate/duty I hope it'll be under $100 total :confused:

Thanks for your help everyone!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
you will not be sorry. I kept reading about a steam cleaner on here and finally bought one. If it ever breaks I will order another as fast as I can.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I bought one. It doesn't get good reviews on line but the lady at the store thought it would do the job I needed. I just checked the tracking on it and it was delivered today. Yippee. Now I have something to do when I get home tonight. Tomorrow I will be cleaning some cages.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I bought one. It doesn't get good reviews on line but the lady at the store thought it would do the job I needed. I just checked the tracking on it and it was delivered today. Yippee. Now I have something to do when I get home tonight. Tomorrow I will be cleaning some cages.

Actually, that's my job when I get home tonight...

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I just don't have the energy when I get home and to read the instructions too. I honestly hope that it works because I would love to deep clean my cages tomorrow and Saturday.

Most Reactions