Best way to get parakette used to new foods

Chirpy

Jan 16, 2020
Media
Australia
Parrots
Turquoise Parakeet - Grinchy
Hi
Iā€™m slowly trying my Turquoise parakette on different foods and Iā€™ve already got some great tips on here :)

So far I worked out she likes apple, today i tried her on pear which she started eating then lost interest. Iā€™m nit giving up on the pear just yet.

What I was wondering was best way to feed it to her
I had been putting small qty in a seperate food bowl to her seed.
Usually she ends up throwing it on the ground of her cage or if she doesnā€™t like it it ends up on the floor.

Do I keep trying the bowl, try feeding through the rails of the cage or will it be ok to feed on the floor?

Originally I had the seed in there all the time but yesterday I tried taking the seed out while I tried her on the salad mix. I ducked out and the salad mix was all over the ground. When I took the salad mix out she was upset until I put her seed back. The same thing today walking around her cage, once I put the seed back in she was fine.

OP
Chirpy

Chirpy

Jan 16, 2020
Media
Australia
Parrots
My other question is I bought some trill fruit nut mix.
I read the ingredients the other day after reading the post about what to and not to feed your bird and it says it contains peanuts.

I tried Grinchy on it last week I was at work and when I got home it was all on the floor and some in her little bath. So Iā€™m thinking she stuck her beak up at that.

What I was wondering was should I try her on it again and take the nuts out or donā€™t bother.

Thankyou so much for advice or tips

OP
Chirpy

Chirpy

Jan 16, 2020
Media
Australia
Parrots
I tried Grinchy on a tiny bit of zucchini tonight while getting dinner ready, she put some on the ground and put some of it in her bath.

I only have the smaller bowl in the cage when Iā€™m giving her snacks or trying her on food and Iā€™ve noticed sheā€™s learnt that bowl also means food. As after I put the bowl in itā€™s place and walk away from the cage sheā€™ll go over and have a sticky beak and decide whether she wants the food or not.

OP
Chirpy

Chirpy

Jan 16, 2020
Media
Australia
Parrots
I think I read corn is ok.
Iā€™ve fed Grinchy a little bit of cooked corn kernels and pretty sure she ate them.

Often when I have corn on cob, (usually only the smaller corn on cobs) I leave a little bit of corn on the cob and give it to my quail Becky (no butter just been boiled).
This feels like a crazy question but can I give cooked corn on cob to Grinchie the parakette or is it better to stick to just the kernels with her?

Thanks

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Here's my two conure-cents! :)

Here's what I use.
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.

OP
Chirpy

Chirpy

Jan 16, 2020
Media
Australia
Parrots
Here's my two conure-cents! :)

Here's what I use.
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.
Thankyou so much :01:
I think the link you provided is American? I am Australian so wonder if you can get the product from Australia?

I do keep the parakettes seed in all the time, I tried taking it out once and giving her some fruit or leafy greens. She ignored what I gave her and carried on until I put the seed back in :34:

Iā€™ve noticed so far she likes apples, I did manage to get some apple stuck in the grid of her cage and it stayed there the whole time I was at work and she ate a little bit of it. If I put food in a bowl I have for her it ends up on the ground of her cage or on the floor :34:.

I might try taking the seed out again and just having apple in there while Iā€™m at work. She wasnā€™t too interested in pear. Iā€™ll have to get some other fruit when I go to the shops to try her on and see what she likes.

Iā€™m still learning as I go so itā€™s trial and error lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts