Best way to stop GCC laying/brooding?

Jazzop

Aug 25, 2015
Parrots
Double Yellow Amazon
I have a clutchmate pair of GCCs in the same cage. They are approximately 4 years old. At least one is female, based on the presence of eggs, but I don't know the sex of the other. Last year, for the first time, I found two eggs at the bottom of the cage, so I removed them and everything went back to normal. This year is different. I removed four eggs last week; I inspected them and they appeared unfertilized. Now I have four more eggs, and one bird is brooding two of them. The other two eggs are scattered on the bottom of the cage and appear to be abandoned.

I do not want these birds to breed, and I really want to stop the egg production for the simple fact that there are health risks with nutrient depletion and egg binding. I read that some species have a certain number of eggs they want to have present, and if you remove any/all they will continue to lay until reaching that certain number again; therefore, I am concerned about removing the new eggs. I don't want my bird(s) to keep laying and putting their health at risk.

I've owned parrots for almost 30 years, but I have never had to deal with eggs until now. Any tips?

Most Reactions

Latest posts