Bonded Conures who now are laying eggs

MeliaTourangeau

Nov 19, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conures
We have had two green cheeked conures for four years. We had them DNA tested and knew they were male and female, but never had any issues until this month. The female has laid 4 eggs in the past two weeks. Do we need to separate them forever now?? So sad because they really are bonded - but we can’t have babies…. Any suggestions?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We have had two green cheeked conures for four years. We had them DNA tested and knew they were male and female, but never had any issues until this month. The female has laid 4 eggs in the past two weeks. Do we need to separate them forever now?? So sad because they really are bonded - but we can’t have babies…. Any suggestions?
Whdcere did she lay the eggs? What did you do with the eggs? Have you seen them actually mating? Are they taking care of the eggs? If you take the eggs away she will probably just law more. If she sits on infertile eggs for a few weeks and they never hatch she will likely give up.
The best way to ensure that the eggs don't hatch is to either toss them out right away as they are laid and replace them with "dummy eggs" (available online), shake each egg vigorously soon after the egg is laid or drop the freshly laid egg in boiling water for a few minutes.

Personally, I LOVE baby parrots and would probablycuu

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Whdcere did she lay the eggs? What did you do with the eggs? Have you seen them actually mating? Are they taking care of the eggs? If you take the eggs away she will probably just law more. If she sits on infertile eggs for a few weeks and they never hatch she will likely give up.
The best way to ensure that the eggs don't hatch is to either toss them out right away as they are laid and replace them with "dummy eggs" (available online), shake each egg vigorously soon after the egg is laid or drop the freshly laid egg in boiling water for a few minutes.

Personally, I LOVE baby parrots and would probablycu
Personally, I LOVE hand raising baby birds I hand raised my budgie Rocky last year and it was an amazing, rewarding experience but it's not for everyone. It's very labor intensive and stressful not to mention potentially harmful or fatal if not correctly. And when it's finished you find yourself with too many birds that you're bonded with and cant bring yourself to give up. I don't recommend it.

OP
M

MeliaTourangeau

Nov 19, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conures

Personally, I LOVE baby parrots and would probablycuu
She laid them in one of the food bowls. We don’t have a nesting space in their cage. I’ve taken the eggs and disposed of them - didn’t know that would make her want to lay more. We do have four bowls in the cage (two for water and two for food). Keeping one food bowl for her eggs isn’t a big deal, I guess. I haven’t seen them mating, but we had left them out of their cage in their room, and I found them behind a bookcase recently. We’ve been good about not letting them get somewhere where they can hide - but this was a first. And today I saw them mating in the cage. I guess they’ve figured things out…. We have a divider in the cage so they are not together now. Thank you for the suggestions!

Most Reactions

Latest posts