Beware the bandage!

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
So the past two weeks Perjo has rediscovered the fun of flight as her flight feathers have returned and she doesn't seem to be overly interested in chewing them. Yay! This has really made her more adventurous and contributed to an overall great mood for her.

I often walk up to her with my arms wide open coaxing her to jump to me, she always hunches over and opens her wings as if she wants to.

But not today. She had been her normal vocal self all morning until I got within 6' of her then she got all nervous and starting making her nervous beeping sounds. It threw me off, I looked around nothing was out of place, I looked at my clothes and nothing was on them and the colors were tame and it's stuff she's seen me in plenty of time. She kept retreating, this went on for close to an hour.

I decided to change my shirt just for S&Gs, and boom it hit me. I had just gone to a lab for blood work and had a bandage on the inside of my elbow. I didn't need to even think about IF that was the cause of Perjo's odd behavior.

Walked back into the room with no bandage and it was if I was Lord of the CAGs. She couldn't wait to climb up on my shoulder.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Wow, it’s amazing how observant and sensitive they are. :heart: Glad you figured it out. :)

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
And it was a bandage that blended in with my skin tone very well. They are so keen and attentative.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We all, far too often, forget just how observant they are.

I have a home office and commonly become overly involve with what I am doing! The advantage of having our DYH Amazon on my shoulder is that I am being updated on what, if anything is going on around me: People walking by, FedX coming to the door, turkeys sneaking though HRH's side yard, Deer looking in the window, etc, etc, etc...

Whether something as small as bandage (and much smaller) or a FedX truck, they are our first line of defense. Although it can baffle us as to what has them on edge - its always worth checking it out!

Bryce

Sep 26, 2017
Long Island
Parrots
Ruby, Psittacus erithacus, 17 y/o f.
Maybe the bandage didn't blend in to the tetrachromatic vision of the bird - perhaps it was very dark or light in the near-UV and stuck out like a sore thumb to a bird.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Bingo freaks out over Band-Aids but my CAG shows no interest.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Even a ball cap..I don't wear them,but my brother and son,and BB's "uncle Joe" do.
BB WILL NOT go to either of them if they have a cap on.

Jim

Most Reactions