Big box o' Toy Stuff

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
So, Chili LOVES toys. LOVES. and LOVES to destroy things...with the passion of a small mischievous beaver. I should've seen this coming...he IS a cockatoo. *duh*. So I scrimped and saved and hid away money here and there...and finally had enough for a decent batch of toy supplies. And they finally came in the mail today- thank. goodness. This bird just saws through my wimpy, cheesy homemade toys like nothing, and I was beginning to run out of ideas- I even resorted to dissecting toys and making new ones. I'm glad he can occupy himself for most of the time though, but now I at least have an arsenal of toys!!

1CB9846A-32A5-4468-B062-D97D98A131D2-417-000000429FA3B390_zps9f92cd10.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like you need a good sized dish that you can start tossing in toy parts, both new and used! It'll give him something to "forage" through and entertain himself with!

Started off as a basket, but I later changed it to a large metal dish since that's more stable...

IMG_5752_zps9c129161.jpg

IMG_5755_zps4ed36947.jpg

IMG_5756_zps406c11b3.jpg

She has a tendency to toss the little bits and pieces on the cage floor and often I also find them in other dishes! Food and water dishes!!!!

Parts from an old toy she chewed up? They get tossed in, too! :D

Looks like there will be plenty for Chili to do!!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
WOW you splurged. :D Look at all that good stuff for your baby!!! :D

...and Monica, you come up with THE most awesome ideas! LOVE what you did with the toys!!!!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Monica- ooooo... I have thee perfect dish in mind!! He has a little basket that hangs in his cage with toy parts and what nots but he hasn't touched it really.

Btw- a couple weeks ago in other thread we were talking about a dish of dirt/sand ... A few days after that I filled a shallow dish with sand and he loves to trudge through it, eat little bits, toss, and what ever lol I also got him some wheatgrass which he looovvvves.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I had hubs build a bird cabinet where I can keep all the bird supplies- toys, food, etc. now I just need bins to hold all this stuff!

I made a few toys already- one was a couple yucca wedges and a stuffed paper finger... I'm not sure what possessed me to inflict such a mess on myself, but man! he annihilated it!!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Wendy- I felt it was a necessary splurge lol but all that was only $80!! I could've got more I guess, but I wanted to sort of get a sample and variety of things to see what he *really* likes.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Monica- ooooo... I have thee perfect dish in mind!! He has a little basket that hangs in his cage with toy parts and what nots but he hasn't touched it really.

Btw- a couple weeks ago in other thread we were talking about a dish of dirt/sand ... A few days after that I filled a shallow dish with sand and he loves to trudge through it, eat little bits, toss, and what ever lol I also got him some wheatgrass which he looovvvves.

Haha! Well, you can always try tossing in some treats for him to find as well! That may help peak his interest! :D

Do you have any pictures of the cabinet?

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Monica-

Oh good idea- one of the things I got was a seagrass mat, I was thinking of just laying on top of her cage and putting little goodies in the little holes.

Here's a quick pic of the cabinet- nothing fancy, and he was going to put doors on it but I needed it before he was done and obviously he hasn't finished it lol i haven't put all the new toy stuff either and it's already almost full lol

381F2A77-C95E-489D-BC55-9111F2018D9F-3265-000002267A78016C_zpsdf22c0a0.jpg

That's the nice part about having a contractor as a hubby 😉 he can build whatever I need or want!! 😄

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
It looks great!!! :D He did a fine job of putting it together!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Dominic was out the other day and I gave him the box of new-and-used toy parts to forage in. He had the most delightful couple of hours of his life! He would grab a thing, toddle over to the edge of the table and drop it. Then, he'd toddle back for another load. After about two hours, all the toy bits were on the floor and Dommie had put himself back in his cage and was all tucked up and asleep.

His favourite toy at the moment is an old tissue box, folded up and stuffed between the bars of his cage. He's currently turning it into a doily. He finished the egg carton and the box my cordless drill came in, so I'm looking for another hefty box for galahification purposes. Dommie really loves chomping paper products while the Beaks don't: they prefer wood.

One thing every body loves is that I've started tossing large penne pasta noodles into the rummage basket. They positively burrow to find the pasta, then fly with it to the topmost point in the room (curtain rod) to savour the trophy. LOL! Neverending fun for all of us!!! :D

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Haha I can picture him toddling around having a hay day with the toy basket lol.

Chili LOVVVVES egg cartons, paper cups, paper ANYTHING! You should see what she did to the bag of crackers!!! Lol oh and yucca slices don't stand a chance.

I was planning on a trip to the dollar store and craft store soon specifically for cheap shreddable and chrunchable fun things for her. I need to get a basket to put stuff in- I was going to use a certain dish but apparently she doesn't like white dishes. Of course. Lol

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
Very nice cabinet! So...how many days, or hours do you think your little birdie toys are going to last once he gets hold of them?? :)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Very nice cabinet! So...how many days, or hours do you think your little birdie toys are going to last once he gets hold of them?? :)

Thanks! :)

Errrrrr...lol... I'm not sure how long it'll all last lol I have a lot of other toy stuff already so I have a decent stash, but I need more stuff -she gets bored easily, so I usually have to come up with something **fun** every few days. Seems like shredding paper is her main favorite hahaha

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Here she's playing in her "tunnel o' fun" I call it... It's a seagrass mat made into a tunnel with chewables inside, and other shiny fun stuff on the outside and then I stuffed paper into it. She's spent a few days pulling all the paper out and shredding it- now she just annihilated the yucca chips.
5E142F3E-ED74-4103-AA7B-E1E2AA805E93-4127-000002A778F5B1AB_zpsba9eedde.jpg

7AF96069-78CB-4E6A-9E5E-7B50CE916C73-4127-000002A7900B42BF_zpsb9c1aceb.jpg

Hawkeye

Oct 13, 2013
I love the idea of the seagrass matt. Never thought of using one of those. Thanks for the tip!!!! Going to the Orlando Bird Show this weekend. Got to get some new stuff.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I love the idea of the seagrass matt. Never thought of using one of those. Thanks for the tip!!!! Going to the Orlando Bird Show this weekend. Got to get some new stuff.

I'm glad I got it! It wasn't too expensive and it's actually pretty big! I've had a few ideas of what to do with it, but this is the first one I've tried. She loves going in the tunnel!

I got all of it at www.mysafebirdstore.com and I'd love to go to a bird show but I haven't seen any in my area :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts