Bingo update

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™m so glad Bingo is doing so much better.

Try to be mindful of how he does without the pain and anti inflammatory meds vs. with them. Maybe this will give a clue about whatā€™s going on with him. I am curious how much the nsaid calms his belly issues down.

You are taking such good care of Bingo. All pet birds should get so much love.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
541 grams for 2 days in a row.

I am cutting back on fruit for Bingo, I don't want him to end up overweight.
The last couple of days Bingo has been grooming my sweatshirt sort of franticly.
Maybe I am reading too much into it but I think he is trying to say thank you the only way he knows. Now that he is feeling better.
He has been grooming my arms and face some to but much more gently.
I recorded a short video of him this morning.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
541 grams for 2 days in a row.

I am cutting back on fruit for Bingo, I don't want him to end up overweight.
The last couple of days Bingo has been grooming my sweatshirt sort of franticly.
Maybe I am reading too much into it but I think he is trying to say thank you the only way he knows. Now that he is feeling better.
He has been grooming my arms and face some to but much more gently.
I recorded a short video of him this morning.
So happy Bingo is feeling better!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bingo's weight is still in the 540's.
He has been loosing lots of down feathers and I recently found one medium size green feather on the bottom of his cage.
He's been over due to start molting some feathers.

This morning Bingo would have given me a nasty bite. He likes to be in the kitchen when I am cutting up his fruit.
After cutting up and divvying up the food he normally like to stay in the kitchen for 10 minutes or so. This time he stepped up right away but I knew he was gona bite me so had to shake him off my hand before he had the chance.
Why step up if he doesn't want to go back?(rhetorical question).

Gave him a nice shower this afternoon.
Having warmer temperatures means I feel more comfortable letting my Fids get wet.
I installed a shower curtain rod in the bathroom over the shower door to give Bingo something better to hang on to. The shower door is flat and too wide for him to grip and he comes too close to falling off.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Iā€™m glad Bingo is feeling good enough to be spicy! When Kirby threatens to bite me I always know he must be feeling good - when heā€™s feeling like crud heā€™s meek as a lamb.

We gave Kirby a ā€œrealā€ shower yesterday too! I am so happy that we are finally getting warmer weather here.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Happy to hear the weight is staying-on as molting begins, alway a great sign!

Spring has slowed it progress here as we have been near or just below freezing at night. So, a slow Spring, which commonly means someplace in May /June, the weather will switch and the heat will be on. So we are still not into deep bathes for Julio as of yet.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Happy to hear the weight is staying-on as molting begins, alway a great sign!

Spring has slowed it progress here as we have been near or just below freezing at night. So, a slow Spring, which commonly means someplace in May /June, the weather will switch and the heat will be on. So we are still not into deep bathes for Julio as of yet.
The approach of spring up here in Maine has come to a roaring halt, too, it seems. Mind you, 400 miles south in NJ there are leaves on the trees, the birds are nesting and flowers are blooming- it just ain't fair! But at least the ice is out on the lake and our boat dock is in. Too bad it's too cold to go for a ride yet. I wanted to take Rocky for her first boat ride (in backpack carrier of course) but this will have to wait, too.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
This is really encouraging. A meek bird is often not feeling good. Hopefully a bitey bird IS feeling good.

Have you continued to give the anti inflammatory meds?

Glad heā€™s so much better.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This is really encouraging. A meek bird is often not feeling good. Hopefully a bitey bird IS feeling good.

Have you continued to give the anti inflammatory meds?

Glad heā€™s so much better.
No, I discontinued his pain meds 2/3 weeks ago.
But I noticed something odd.
It looks to me like the top of Bingoā€™s head is turning blue/turquoise.
Maybe due to loosing a lot of down feathers??

He was not very cooperative in getting a good picture.

IMG_1244.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
No, I discontinued his pain meds 2/3 weeks ago.
But I noticed something odd.
It looks to me like the top of Bingoā€™s head is turning blue/turquoise.
Maybe due to loosing a lot of down feathers??

He was not very cooperative in getting a good picture.

View attachment 49643
He looks so pretty for a birdie that hadn't been feeling well!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I see it! I know Salty had beautiful turquoise forehead feathers when he was younger that dispersed to become green. The reverse might be possible.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I want to start off with some good news.
Bingo went into his cardboard box yesterday and started tearing it apart.
It must be over 6 months since he has done that and I am overjoyed he feels energetic enough to do it.

He is also a bit more insistent on getting scratches when he sits with me. This is instead of just wanting to fall asleep sitting on my chest.

The odd thing is his weight.
It keeps yo-yo-ing up and down by about 8/10 grams.
Here is an example of the last 5 days.
538, 543, 536, 548. 537.
Some of this can be explained by the fact that sometimes I weigh him after he has eaten a little bit of breakfast and sometimes he wants to come out of his cage without breaking fast and eating a little.
I try to work with him instead of against him. If he wants to eat before coming out I am fine with that.
Forcing him to come out to get weighed is risky business.
Forcing a Yellow nape to do anything is risky business LOL.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I want to start off with some good news.
Bingo went into his cardboard box yesterday and started tearing it apart.
It must be over 6 months since he has done that and I am overjoyed he feels energetic enough to do it.

He is also a bit more insistent on getting scratches when he sits with me. This is instead of just wanting to fall asleep sitting on my chest.

The odd thing is his weight.
It keeps yo-yo-ing up and down by about 8/10 grams.
Here is an example of the last 5 days.
538, 543, 536, 548. 537.
Some of this can be explained by the fact that sometimes I weigh him after he has eaten a little bit of breakfast and sometimes he wants to come out of his cage without breaking fast and eating a little.
I try to work with him instead of against him. If he wants to eat before coming out I am fine with that.
Forcing him to come out to get weighed is risky business.
Forcing a Yellow nape to do anything is risky business LOL.
Sounds very encouraging! I wouldn't think that 5% weight fluctuations up and down were clinically significant, especially since he sometimes he eats a bit before weighing. I always thought daily weighing was too frequent because of these normal fluctuations (unless it's a growing baby bird).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio varies that in weight just based on weighing him before or after his morning movement. But over the top happy to hear that he is regarding his historical self!

Yaaa, Getting any of the Big Hot Three to do anything when they are not interested is monumental.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Julio varies that in weight just based on weighing him before or after his morning movement. But over the top happy to hear that he is regarding his historical self!

Yaaa, Getting any of the Big Hot Three to do anything when they are not interested is monumental.
I'm wondering how you prevent your bird from eating before being weighed in the morning. Do you take all food out at bedtime? Regarding his morning potty habits- does he "go" at the same time every morning? What time does your bird wake up in the morning? Do you always wake up before him and check his poops?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I'm wondering how you prevent your bird from eating before being weighed in the morning. Do you take all food out at bedtime? Regarding his morning potty habits- does he "go" at the same time every morning? What time does your bird wake up in the morning? Do you always wake up before him and check his poops?
I toss Kirbyā€™s pellets right before bedtime as we add probiotics to it (per his vets instruction, and theyā€™re prescription), and he gets fresh veg in the AM and in the evening. I weigh him right before I give him his morning chop/pellet mix (I add his heart med and joint supplement to his morning pellet). After a couple hours I take his veg out and give him his probiotic/pellet mix; it does waste pellets to toss them at the EOD but I want to make sure his food is fresh - we keep a small bag of his pellet in the fridge and if we buy the value size bag the rest goes in the freezer.

I donā€™t like leaving food overnight as Iā€™m not sure how well pellets keep, and he has had so many bacterial issues Iā€™m pretty strict about keeping his food and water bowls sanitized and washed frequently.

It does make it much easier to know Iā€™m getting an accurate weight on him.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I toss Kirbyā€™s pellets right before bedtime as we add probiotics to it (per his vets instruction, and theyā€™re prescription), and he gets fresh veg in the AM and in the evening. I weigh him right before I give him his morning chop/pellet mix (I add his heart med and joint supplement to his morning pellet). After a couple hours I take his veg out and give him his probiotic/pellet mix; it does waste pellets to toss them at the EOD but I want to make sure his food is fresh - we keep a small bag of his pellet in the fridge and if we buy the value size bag the rest goes in the freezer.

I donā€™t like leaving food overnight as Iā€™m not sure how well pellets keep, and he has had so many bacterial issues Iā€™m pretty strict about keeping his food and water bowls sanitized and washed frequently.

I see. You can't be too safe with all the health issues Kirby has had.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)

I remove my birds food at night too. I donā€™t feed pellets but Iā€™ve been wondering if anyone else did what I do šŸ˜…
I used to be worried that they would be hungry at night but they donā€™t wake up to eat as far as I know.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I remove my birds food at night too. I donā€™t feed pellets but Iā€™ve been wondering if anyone else did what I do šŸ˜…
I used to be worried that they would be hungry at night but they donā€™t wake up to eat as far as I know.
I doubt many birds eat during the night like us fridge raiding hoomans do but I like to sleep in some mornings because I work evenings and would hate for my birds to wake up with the sun to completely empty food bowls.

Most Reactions

Latest posts