Bird bath

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Yes, it is necessary to baths your conure. It depends on the weather though, I would say no less than twice a week the minimum. My vet recommend me on summer 5-6 times a week, and during winter, about 2-4 times.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I use a large flower pot base for my bird's bath tub and when taking their baths they do a complete immersion, getting in, dunking their heads & bodies.

Some birdsdon't even like misting, while others, like mine, will bathe everyday if they have the opportunity.

If you are just misting your bird(s), watch for excessive itching/scratching and even possible plucking, because occasional misting may not be enough for some birds.....

tokensmom

Jan 24, 2013
Parrots
GCC...TOKEN
I have a perch in the shower that hangs out of the way of the shower spray...but while he is in the shower with me he has a large tupperware container that i put cooler water into and pit on the seat in the shower. He gets in that and flaps around, puts his head under....acts so silly. Definatly give your bird the opportunity for a bath...its a fun thing to watch.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Actually, you're going to need to do some testing to see what your bird(s) will feel comfortable with.....mine will not get into any large tub/basin (i.e. kitchen sink).

When one of my birds decided to use the flower pot base, it was totally its choice. At the time I had some 18 birds & most would bathe in their water dish, so I just set a large plastic flower pot base on a communal table & let them inspect on their own. After one got in & enjoyed itself, all others followed...some would bathe together & a couple would wait to bathe alone.

The dish I use is about 2.5" deep & keep put about an inch of water in it, but again, you're probably going to need to do some testing yourself.....

tokensmom

Jan 24, 2013
Parrots
GCC...TOKEN
Also when u put the water into the dish, splash a little bit with your fingers so your bird looks interested. They always want what you are playing with.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I purchased a bathtub that attaches to the outside of the cage.

Most Reactions