Bird found me

OP
J

jhsatx

Jul 23, 2016
Bird dropped a big feather and to my surprise it appears to have been clipped.
While I understand the need clip the wings on some birds, it'd be the last resort here.

Bird seems to be bipolar, is this common with Amazons?

The family struggles with the bird when I travel, it ate a portion of the kitchen my last trip.

It's becoming social with some of the family including landing on my daughter shoulder during dinner and impolitely helped itself to her pulled pork sandwich when she would take a bite.

Bird has poor manners and doesn't care if your offended.
It's completely self-centered.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Bird seems to be bipolar, is this common with Amazons?

The family struggles with the bird when I travel, it ate a portion of the kitchen my last trip.

It's becoming social with some of the family including landing on my daughter shoulder during dinner and impolitely helped itself to her pulled pork sandwich when she would take a bite.

Bird has poor manners and doesn't care if your offended.
It's completely self-centered.
Nothing unusual here!
If your guy is young, bipolar can reach dangerous levels , in an instant!
Read and reread
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/54250-amazon-body-language.html

Birdman666 and Henpecked are your go to posters for all things Amazon!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Sounds normal to me. It's taken me years to get to a point with Goofy where I'm comfortable caring for him while MrC is out of town.

OP
J

jhsatx

Jul 23, 2016
Thx Fl

Birdmans post on body language has been invaluable, can't wait for the example pics and video.
We turned a big corner with that thread, read or referred to it a couple dozen times.

I've been called out on many occasions around here for excessive searching on the parrot forum.

Blood letting has ceased, although if it doesn't get its way it will go as far as to trap a diget and apply pressure and the stink eye, feathers tight to the body.

There is still an unhealthy cabinet, closet, box fixation.
Bird will discipline those who interrupt private time in those places.

This morning all was well for an hour or so until someone opened a cabinet.
Bird dropped its toast and made a bee line. The quick child was able to thwart birds happyCabinet time , only There was an oversized bowl that had the door gapped slitely. Bird mad, began to remodel kitchen.

Bad bird, back to jail.

TheSpoiledReckless

Apr 7, 2016
New England
Parrots
Bonnie-rescued orange-winged Amazon
Darwin-my baby girl, pineapple green cheek conure, also a rescue. RIP Darwin, dearly missed
Kiwi and Damon, the devilish lovebird twins
Charlie-Umbrella Cockatoo,
This is beautiful, really, truly hysterical in the best way. I have a rescue amazon myself, a sweet, old orange winged amazon named Bonnie who is quite quiet and food orientated for the most part. She doesn't bother the other birds, doesn't swear, doesn't chew things she isn't suppose to and only screams (quietly too) a few times a day when there is food she would like to have. I did get extremely lucky and blessed to have my bonnie-bird. Your little moocher there sounds like quite a fellow though. Good Luck!

OP
J

jhsatx

Jul 23, 2016
Well,,, we've made it through our first yr.

We survived the Spring/mating season, (don't recall anything like that during Fall of 16) and bird has returned to being sweet again.

Family is making strides with their relationship with bird, (extra yummy treats are dispensed by the least favorite humans)and while the occasional head thump/bomb still awaits those who display negative PMA, birds seeks out other family members to hang out with.

Found a bird/pet store for boarding,(we tell the bird it's "The Spa") that's willing to help with socializing and direction. Last time we entered said shop, echoes of LaLa, Hi LaLa! ,, were meet with FU from the bird. It's embarrassing, and when that phrase is uttered we respond with, "love you" in hopes bird will change it's annunciation.

Manny thanks to all those who contribute to the site!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It would help me to help you find the owner if I knew where you were located.

Whoops! I've got to learn to look at the dates of these threads. Old post. My bad.

Last edited:

Danigrrl39

Aug 24, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
Parrots
Momma to Mochi- Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure. Hatched 4/18/16
And the new baby, Romeo- Hahn's Macaw. Hatched 4/26/18
I know this is a very old post, but was wondering how everything was fairing. This is by far, one of my favorite posts on here!

Most Reactions