Bird Friendly “air fresheners”

Parabuteo

Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies, Parrotlet, Senegal, Raptors
I need some help finding bird friendly “air fresheners”.
I know most commercial made air fresheners are toxic to birds (ie glade, air wick etc) I am trying to find some way to add a fresh sent to rooms. Currently I am misting vinegar or boiling orange peels. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestion?
Someone told me that a product called nebulizers is bird friendly. Is this true?

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Liliacs are in bloom here. I have lemon trees that bloom all winter, they scent the whole house (even over the bird smell). Potted herbs will scent the air if the temp. is high enough. I cannot use commericial air fresheners, because of allergies, so I get creative. My shark floor steamer leaves a fresh, clean scent.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Let Nature Deodorize Your Home
Some Interesting Tib Bits On deodorizers you can make yourself for the home environment that are not toxic to birds.

Lavender Bouquets: Freshly picked Lavender (placed in water) or dried lavender bunches scent the rooms and are non-toxic.

Simmer cinnamon, cloves or allspice in a pan of water to scent the air

Sprinkle a few drops of vanilla or essential oil on a cotton ball. Place this in a small open container to prevent the oil or alcohol from damaging your furniture.

Put a few slices of leftover orange or lemon rinds in a pot of water, simmer for 1-2 hours

Place lemon slices in an open bowl

Place cloves, cinnamon sticks, allspice or other favorite scented spice in a pot of water , simmer for 1-2 hours

Pour vanilla extract into a shallow dish and set in an out of the way place

Kitchen Deodorizer: Grind lemon or orange peels in the garbage disposal for a wonderful citrus smell in the kitchen

Don't forget the value of fresh flowers or cedar blocks for a gentle fragrance

OP
Parabuteo

Parabuteo

Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Thanks for the suggestions;
I agree with the fresh air, but my apartment does not have a single window that opens. I cant use flowers because my cat will eat them ( I have already spent 1000$ this year on a foreign object)
How about essential oils?

Last edited:

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
I found something that I think MIGHT be bird safe I'm not sure and I have not tried it yet but it's a wickless candle that warms up in a warmer which basically uses a light bulb and melts the wax. Heres a link to the FAQ page. What does everyone else think about it? Select Language I know the link doesn't look like it will work but it will.

Last edited:

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Also maybe have the landlord fix the windows so they open. I don't know how I would fair in a place that I couldn't open a window. Good luck.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
It is dangerous to have a bird and no windows that open. If you had to let out cooking odors or smoke it would be a bad situation. Most likely against codes of your state also. Essential oils are why we do not burn scented candles.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Thanks for the suggestions;
I agree with the fresh air, but my apartment does not have a single window that opens. I cant use flowers because my cat will eat them ( I have already spent 1000$ this year on a foreign object)
How about essential oils?

I raise African Violets, that's the FIRST plant my cat goes for when he escapes into upstairs. He knows where I keep my violets....I bought them cat nip, they don't even take a sniff at it....He nips off leaflet by leaflet, makes me mad!!! Almost killed one of my precious violet that you don't see very often, I got lucky that I found it at the store....I know the plant is safe for animals, but I rather keep it pretty then a leafless plant....I have about 20 varieties....

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
I love violets, I don't have them. Do they leave a fragrance? When my granny died I took her 30 year old violet home, after about 8 weeks I gave it to my mom b4 I killed it, Never tried them again. I've been thinking lately orchids???

OP
Parabuteo

Parabuteo

Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
I do not have a gree thumb, Ihave difficulties keeping my mint alive

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Plants are alot like pets, give them right environment & attention & they should grow. Except violets in my case.lol

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Scented EO fumes should not be released in the air where a bird is located. There are many articles about this on the internet. I used EO therapy in my home for many years and did some research on this when I purchased my bird. EO are very potent and have the potential to damage the very fragile respiratory systems of our birds.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
i saw those wickless candles at the pet expo, they said they were safe around pets, but werent sure about birds( i guess birds arent pets???)...better safe than sorry~

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
well I was thinking since they dont contain essential oils or lead or anything else regular candles contain they might be but as I said I'm also not sure and havent used them.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I am just wondering why you don't get the windows fixed??

Most Reactions

Latest posts