bird started flying

Fersie

May 9, 2013
My bird is 5 weeks old and it just started flyin. So shud i clip his wings? He still don't fly to me when i call him. But he is very friendly with me. I am afraid that he might fly away. So any suggestions? And one more thing. I offered him seeds and he eats a little. But i still feed him 3 times a day. And do i have to give him water after feeding????

Last edited:

Caesar

Oct 26, 2013
Media
I am a firm believer that your bird should be fully flighted.
My Ekkie had his wings clipped a t a very young age by the breeder. Do some research on The Aviator Harness and lead and work with your bird to get him/her used to it.
It was the best thing I have ever don for my bird. He has changed his whole personality . And you will find that teaching him to come will be a lot easier.
I got a retractable 3m long retractable cat lead to attach to the end of the shock absorbing lead and they r available at any good pet store.
I hope all goes well.:green2:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
If he's that young and just started flying I would wait until he's figured out how to fly a bit better before clipping him. Young birds should be given the opportunity to fly and get accustomed to it before having their wings clipped -otherwise you'll run into problems later with him not knowing how to fly.

If you want him to fly to you on command you'll have to teach him- daily sessions and treats as rewards will help...

As with any bird that's flighted, you'll have to ensure that windows and doors are closed, ceiling fans are off, dogs and cats are put away, and any other hazards should be taken care of if he's to be allowed to fly freely inside your home.

Water should be available at all times- just keep a dish in his cage and check it throughout the day; if stuff gets in it like poop or food, make sure you change it right away.

Hope this helps :)

Nailztim

Jul 27, 2013
Findlay, Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure- Jewel
I completely agree with Caesar, I think all birds should be fully flighted. It is also imperative that they learn to fly during the first 6 months of their life. That is when their brains are like a sponge and they soak up all sorts of information! Do a little reading at the following link. Steve Hartman is the creator of the Aviator Harness and is very knowledgeable about the lives of our companions.

The Parrot University, llc

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Yes, allow him at least 2 weeks to fly. Clipping a parrot too soon can cause all kinda of problems for the poor birds confidence.

Although I prefer keeping parrots flighted it's your decision. If you make a choice based on what others say and something goes wrong you'll never forgive yourself. Both clipped and unclipped have their own sets of dangers.

Most Reactions

Latest posts