Bird Tricks classes any good?

Whitelightning777

Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
None, thinking about getting one
I'm thinking about buying some of these courses prior to getting a bird. Has anyone else used bird tricks (the YouTube page) videos or purchased courses? How did your bird respond to their type of training? Overall, they seem logical but they're a little pricey & I want to see if they are actually effective for someone else first.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I havenā€™t watched them but they seem ridiculously expensive for what they are, especially since a savvy user can find similar content for free. To each their own of course! If youā€™re on a budget however, that money might be better spent on enrichment items for your parrot as well as supplies and housing.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Have you done some research into other trainers aswell? Seems logical to me to look into all the options before spending the money they're asking.
Some other trainers I've heard good thing about (no personal experience) are Pamela Clark and Barbara Heidenreich.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I havenā€™t watched them but they seem ridiculously expensive for what they are, especially since a savvy user can find similar content for free. To each their own of course! If youā€™re on a budget however, that money might be better spent on enrichment items for your parrot as well as supplies and housing.
I agree with this. Iā€™ve always been a bit turned off from them since there are so many free videos out there. Iā€™ve learned all of my training techniques from free videos on YouTube and researching here on the forum. On YouTube I like FlockTalk for training videos.

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
I have been to one. It really depends on what birds come into the class and what their issues are lol. I got lucky and learned some info but one lady had a problem where the bird was flying to her CONSTANTLY! And nobody noticed besides Dave that she was doing a ā€œpre-queueā€ and we resolved that issue. Also one thing I didnā€™t expect was that Dave does most of the training since Jamie does most of the YouTube videos.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I think it depends on the issue you have with your bird. The solutions to MOST minor behavioral issues can EASILY be found on YouTube, Google etc. If it's a bigger issue, then a training class COULD be beneficial, but still, BirdTricks seems way overpriced for what it is. And since you don't have a bird yet, I would totally recommend watching some videos and doing some Internet research instead of spending money on a training course.

JinPicaJest

May 12, 2023
Parrots
Jingo - Cinnamon GCC
Picasso - Pineapple GCC
Court Jester - BCC
If you're looking for basic care and "what to know before you bring your bird home" type information, check out Phoenix Landing's course offerings. Most are online and free. Highly recommend.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
IMHO only, their products and services are grossly extravagantly overpriced. Like birds of prey, they prey on the weakest members of a population (new parrot owners). I am not saying their techniques are bad, but lets face it, if you are not willing to work with your parrot, one on one, for an extended period of time, all the training videos in the world are not going to be effective.

This is my opinion only and does not reflect the opinions of the MODERATOR team or ParrotForums in general.

OP
W

Whitelightning777

Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
None, thinking about getting one
I just want to have some sort of plan before the bird arrives. Yes, I'm willing to spend the time. The pet stores only have budgies and cockatiels. That means if I find something, it'll likely be a road trip. I'm in Maryland, Baltimore to be exact.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I just want to have some sort of plan before the bird arrives. Yes, I'm willing to spend the time. The pet stores only have budgies and cockatiels. That means if I find something, it'll likely be a road trip. I'm in Maryland, Baltimore to be exact.
I think you might be better off saving your money and using it on toys and a big cage for your new bird! If you're willing to spend the time then I think you'll be able to be prepared enough without having to pay for a training class

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
I think their training methods work pretty well, but I wouldn't bother forking over so much money for training advice/tutorials, when you could also find the same advice out there for free if you do a little bit of searching. I like their YouTube videos, but at the same time they seem very.. money hungry to say the least.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
How do you feel about books? I borrowed the Parrot Wizard book from a friend, and while I donā€™t agree with all of his methods (is he the guy who withheld food for training, or was that Bird Tricks?) I am a couple of chapters in and it really is largely great info, especially for beginning a relationship with your parrot.

Itā€™s still not cheap (I think the book is $40 new?) but itā€™s way cheaper than the classes.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah I don't hold with that whole withholding food thing. Salty gets his dinner around 7-7:30 and we train at 8:45. I'm pretty sure he is not learning and doing all these dopey tricks and stuff just for a few lousy pine nuts. Parrots learn new stuff because they want to.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
How do you feel about books? I borrowed the Parrot Wizard book from a friend, and while I donā€™t agree with all of his methods (is he the guy who withheld food for training, or was that Bird Tricks?) I am a couple of chapters in and it really is largely great info, especially for beginning a relationship with your parrot.

Itā€™s still not cheap (I think the book is $40 new?) but itā€™s way cheaper than the classes.
I have the book and I agree with some of it and think a lot of it is no different than books on raising children. Some of it may work for you and some of it won't be your style. I bought a used copy for $20 and feel it was worth it. Birdtricks has crazy prices as far as I am concerned. I, personally, can't see paying their fees for one of their classes when you can get help from other places including this forum for so much less.

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
Let me clear this up, Birdtricks DOES not believe in withholding food for training. They say "every interaction is a training session" and what they told us before coming in is feed your birds 3/4 of his normal portion in the morning and then save 1/4 for training value, not do not feed

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Let me clear this up, Birdtricks DOES not believe in withholding food for training. They say "every interaction is a training session" and what they told us before coming in is feed your birds 3/4 of his normal portion in the morning and then save 1/4 for training value, not do not feed
That is withholding food....
Your not giving the bird their full portion, and personally I believe in free feeding unless for health (for example, obese).
I have seen qualified trainers say they (BT) withhold food (granted that particular post is a few years old, maybe they've changed but they still have done it), and I seen people say how you can visibly see their adult birds baby begging for food on camera (I am not experianced with large bird behaviour to be able to comment on that).

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~

Thanks, yes, I wasnā€™t sure who it was, and I just remembered vaguely it was one of the two ā€œbigā€ names in internet parrot training.

Iā€™m actually working my way through the Parrot Wizard book while watching our new conure get used to our house, so Iā€™ll report back if he makes similar suggestions.

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
Yeah I don't hold with that whole withholding food thing. Salty gets his dinner around 7-7:30 and we train at 8:45. I'm pretty sure he is not learning and doing all these dopey tricks and stuff just for a few lousy pine nuts. Parrots learn new stuff because they want to.
I agree - and my 9 birds free feed. Iā€™m currently training my African Grey and his coveted reward is the sound of the clicker and words of praise! He is happy to accept a banana chip when the session wraps up (but only when weā€™re all done for the night).

Most Reactions

Latest posts