Birdie Coffee Table!!!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I think you are much better off with vinyl, ceramic would make a table that size quite heavy! I just finished a project of 800 sq ft using that snap together vinyl planking. I now know what I am doing with all the scrap cuts!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I think you are much better off with vinyl, ceramic would make a table that size quite heavy! I just finished a project of 800 sq ft using that snap together vinyl planking. I now know what I am doing with all the scrap cuts!

Not to mention the hassle and risk assocated with cracking the tile putting the stupid thing together. Ceramics don't do well with getting drill bits stuck through them. You'd need a special bit, and then you'd have to use grout, and frame it... and it sounds like WAY too much work, especially when compared to Peel and Stick. The tile portion of this thing took less than ten minutes... and there was a significant amount of goofing off involved as to why it even took that long...

Vinyl planking will work quite well, I bet... You could also cut a one piece from a roll of flooring, but that would involve using adhesive, which is messy and doesn't always stick well, and can leave bubbles. But then you would have no seams. There's lots of ways to do this... that's what makes it such a cool thing.

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Good news, bad news.

First the good news, I just improved the design and it takes this to a whole new level.

Bad news, that means its still not finished...

Holy crap turned out to be a starting point...::D

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I showed it to my hubby with a hint, hint. He is displeased with you lol! :p Just kidding he actually loves these kind of projects and is always coming up with things that help me with my painting needs.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, now show him the new and improved design.... :eek: It'll look a lot better once I finish taping it.

This is one of the best designs I think I've ever come up with... And the upper perches just pull out, so it's a combination tall playstand perch and/or coffee table. :D I should have it 100% finished this weekend. It's going in my front window... This one is going to be for Tusk and Lila.

I think it's better than a store bought playstand myself...

but I might be a tad biased...

Next we screw the base onto the table top through each of the fittings.

Then we tape the whole thing.

Then add a few strategically placed toys,,,

Then let the birdies take it to a test drive...

Sweepea was all over this thing!!! And for the record that's four large parrots peacefully coexisting on this thing with plenty of room to spare. You could easily fit 6 to 8 large birds on this thing...

I'd call this one a success!!!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It looks AWESOME, Mark!!

Hey, you got enough vacuum cleaners? :54: And you don't like parrot statues, do you? :D (Just messing with you!!)

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That's a shop vac, a regular vacuum, and a carpet steam cleaner... I also have a spot bot, because parrots and carpets, well... you know... I never put them away after cleaning, because I got all OCD'ed in building the playstand... My house is a mess again!

And actually, you can't see the best one. I have a tree stump that has two parrots on a branch that was hand carved... that one is my favorite...

Did you happen to notice that the two glass tables they are sitting on, are also cast iron birds standing on branches?! Not that I'm completely over the top or anything, but I figure since the downstairs has gone to the birds anyway... that living room portion is people space. The rest of the downstairs is birdroom. (No, that playstand is not staying there. It's moving to the front window once I finish it. People space is for people...)

Last edited:

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Mark - Did you caulk the tile? Just wondering. It would be my luck that poop would go between the cracks. :rolleyes:

Never mind - just read another posting and you talk about the seams.

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mark - Did you caulk the tile? Just wondering. It would be my luck that poop would go between the cracks. :rolleyes:

They are vinyl peel and stick tiles. There is no between the cracks, and they're only 88 cents each! If they get messed up, just unscrew a few things, pull them off and replace them. No fuss, no stress. Easy!

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Just seeing all this, Mark! I love both designs! Thanks for sharing the how to's.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Good news, bad news.

First the good news, I just improved the design and it takes this to a whole new level.

Bad news, that means its still not finished...

Holy crap turned out to be a starting point...::D

Measure twice, cut once right....not with a buzz saw for a parrot, Could of swore the Length was 62inches...what happen here....Ooooohh I see My parrot munching on the end....So much for my proto-J (Entrusted helper).

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That's even more fabulous.

Almost finished. I just added a bunch of toys. It will be done today...

IF I can find more tape... everyone seems to be out of it. Been to three different stores. Otherwise, we're finished.

A few more pics to come...

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Here is the finished product, with the birds checking it out for the first time.

Four birds, plenty of room for all...

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Amazing stand, Mark! I didn't truly realize how big it was until I saw all of your birds on it! I'm sure you'd make quite the haul selling those!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Amazing stand, Mark! I didn't truly realize how big it was until I saw all of your birds on it! I'm sure you'd make quite the haul selling those!

Yeah, this thing will easily accommodate 6-8 non-territorial birds at one time.

We have had one territorial issue already. I build this thing for Lila and Tusk, since Tusk has taken an increasing interest in Sally's table... and there have been one or two arguments...

Well, now Sally is trying to claim and defend both stands... She spent all afternoon on it, and has claimed the T perch in the window, and the food bowl that goes with it...

Tusk and Lila sit up top...

The bird that is ALL OVER this thing is my red fronted macaw. She runs around playing with everything... didn't miss a beat.

Lila was frightened of it at first, but since Tusk decided it was a good place to hang out, Lila, of course, followed... I don't think you could ever separate those two... they are partners in crime.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
It's official: my birds are horribly deprived. They don't have anything wonderful like that.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's official: my birds are horribly deprived. They don't have anything wonderful like that.

Just because mine may be "just a tad" over-indulged, doesn't make yours deprived...

Man overboard, remember?!

Most Reactions