birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
So I think Bird talk is WAY over rated but the more we read the mroe we learn so I still go through them to see what new tidbits I might learn.
The lat few have just been average but the one for JUNE is awsome! I would encourage each and everyone of you to flip through it go to a bookstore or somewhere where you don't have to buy it but you can sit down and read it. It has a very good article about mutations and hybrids even talks about "fancy parakeets" LOL Anyway it is filled with all kinds of good stuff.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
lol i just baught birds usa yesterday i was going to get bird talk but i thaught it was a waste of money .. it basicly only had adds... wait is june the one with the macaw on the front? I think im going to subscribe to them both(if i can since im in canada) because its alot cheaper that way! 18$ for 12 issues or 38$ for 24. (thats american pricing)

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
June has a teil on the cover and an article on preventing small bird accidents.:)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
We can't get that here, :( But it sounds like a good issue Maybe you could post something on the mutations and Hybrids, (I'm not sure what I think about Hybrids, but I do love the Catalina Macaw, just such a beautiful bird)

Agree, the more we read and ask questions the more we learn, I'm always asking questions and reading about birds, seems like the learning is endless :D I love it.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
... (I'm not sure what I think about Hybrids, but I do love the Catalina Macaw, just such a beautiful bird)...

See, Hybrids (the offspring of two different species of Macaws) COULD happen naturally, it just normally dosen't. Here's another thing, Man has been cross-breeding animals to generate the specific traits that they want for ever ... I mean, just look at dogs. I love the Catalina Macaw, beautiful, beautiful bird. So, I ask, are you against crossbreeding ALL animals or just birds?

BTW, if you think a LABRADOODLE or a PUGGLE would have ever happened naturally, you are sadly mistaken!

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Hmm...I was just reading earlier about some hybrids.

Since the parrots in the wild are becoming depleted, many people feel that breeding 'hybrids' will taint the 'pure' bloodlines of the other parrots (wow, I almost made a Harry Potter reference there, haha).

I think for a lot of people, it's different when applied to dogs or cats because they have been domesticated for years...so it's not like they're looked upon a exotic or wild animals. Whereas parrots aren't quite domesticated, so it seems more unnatural.

Just a thought

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
With the decline of the wild parrots, I think I would rather have pure breeds, but I can't say I'm against hybrids as I love the Catalina. Would I like to see breeders captive bred hybrids, I just don't know. I'm very much torn on this one.

Dogs, cats well think they are gonna please themselfs one way or the other. Birds tend to stick with their own species, so I just don't know. Wonder what everyone else thinks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts